The Next Nissan Z Wonít be a Bargain-Basement Sports Car - Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
Sponsored Editorial Content

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
The Next Nissan Z Wonít be a Bargain-Basement Sports Car

Quote:
Despite its advanced age the 370Z still has a place in Nissanís lineup.

'Weíre not going to walk away from the nameplate, and itís certainly something weíre studying and working through right now,' Michael Bunce, vice president of product planning at Nissan North America, Inc. said.

Though itís increasingly difficult for the Z to compete, particularly with models brandished by the Detroit three. It seems every year the American muscle-car triad brings more horsepower and innovation to market.
Read more about The Next Nissan Z Wonít be a Bargain-Basement Sports Car at AutoGuide.com.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-23-2018, 01:02 AM

Location: Workin in the United Arab Emirates; Livin in North Carolina; Born and raised in Southern Utah
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
well, i don't know how most folks feel about the modern Z, although the 370 is pretty slick and cool inside, it still doesn't seem very Z-like to me.

personally, I think Nissan, if you want to get something that competes with today's market, or perhaps even just as a style that appeals to the average guy who just wants an affordable yet well made sports car, maybe you should go back to your roots.

i would love to see the inline-six come back. make Mr. K proud {RIP}

how about it, Nissan?

Bon

All the Gods, all the Heavens, all the Hells, are within you. - Joseph Campbell -

Pooja II ~ 1984 300ZXT 50th AE ~ 2018 - 2019
Pooja ~ 1987 300ZX 2+2 NA2T ~ 2012 - 2018
Suzanna ~ 1983 280ZX Coupe ~ 2010 - 2019
Alana ~ 1976 280z Coupe NA2T ~ 2008 - 2019
Dianna ~ 1980 280ZX Slick Top ~ 2001 - 2007
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-24-2018, 01:13 PM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
I've been around long enough to remember how new and cool the new 240s were when they first came out. And later how really cool the 280ZXs were whey THEY first came out. Never cared much for the 300s, but that's just me. Of course, I was also around when Crosby, Stills and Nash first got together and made that great music. Now you go to one of their concerts (at a state fair) and it's a bunch of old, fat bald guys singing.
The new Zs aren't old, fat and bald - quite the contrary - but my point is that in today's world, the Z is a whole different animal. Back then it filled a market niche that no one except Mr. K realized was there - a good looking, powerful, easy to maintain, "sports" car that was worlds more dependable than, say, an MG. And as I remember, it acquitted itself pretty good against the competition of the day - MG, Triumph, Porsche, Fiat - maybe not top of the heap, but cheap and affordable. I'm getting a bit fuzzy these days, but I don't remember any head-to-head comparos with Corvettes back then.

The only remaining "pro" of the modern Z seems to be its 'affordability'. And now the only niche it seems to fit in is WITH the 'super' sports cars of the day - including the Vette. Doesn't seem right. As Mr. K himself noted in an interview at near 100 years old (https://blog.caranddriver.com/yutaka...z-dead-at-105/), I'd rather drive a Miata these days because it's closer to what the original Z was.

I would personally like to see ANY of the carmakers go brutally retro on any model - that is to say, give us a car that has minimal electronics - no back up cameras, no electronic suspension, no heads-up displays, no touchscreen, heated seats, bluetooth, LED, blah blah blah. As totally basic as you can get. I know carburetors are never coming back but I'm thinking more like the early 280s - just basic fuel injection and electronic ignition and, okay, power steering and brakes. Make it pretty and keep it light, but don't go crazy. And make it TRULY affordable. The Z would be a perfect candidate for this. Market it toward the young 'purist' driver (or us old farts who want to remember being that way) who really enjoyed the elemental thrill of those early cars . . . and maybe you'll re-find the same new-old niche for the Z.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-24-2018, 04:47 PM

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Enjoyed the reminiscence.
6shutr........., and I bet you played with your six-shooters back when.

zippityzda
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-24-2018, 10:56 PM

Location: Workin in the United Arab Emirates; Livin in North Carolina; Born and raised in Southern Utah
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
kind of makes me want to go and find an original stock 260z.... the rare one and the last of the carbs

retro is pretty cool if done right.

All the Gods, all the Heavens, all the Hells, are within you. - Joseph Campbell -

Pooja II ~ 1984 300ZXT 50th AE ~ 2018 - 2019
Pooja ~ 1987 300ZX 2+2 NA2T ~ 2012 - 2018
Suzanna ~ 1983 280ZX Coupe ~ 2010 - 2019
Alana ~ 1976 280z Coupe NA2T ~ 2008 - 2019
Dianna ~ 1980 280ZX Slick Top ~ 2001 - 2007
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-27-2018, 12:12 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonfire79 View Post
well, i don't know how most folks feel about the modern Z, although the 370 is pretty slick and cool inside, it still doesn't seem very Z-like to me.
It always frustrated me that the BMW Z4 Coupe had more Z like lines to the profile than the current Z.

Maybe the people shelling out the money for a new car don't want the classic, sleek long nose look and maybe Nissan can't pull off that look without a straight six which they don't have. I also guess that with modern crash regulations requiring the hood to be so far above the engine a straight six would kill a sleek look anyways (the new Supra looks to have a really high hood).

For me it is sad to see them chasing the higher end market. But I do realize that with all the changes in the automotive world they can't make an inexpensive car that can run with the big boys the way the early Z did.

Would people revolt if it had a turbo 4 in a package close to the size of a BRZ? Great handling, 250 hp, just really fun to drive and answering the cry for more power that we hear from the BRZ crowd?
A car starting around $28K that you could have a lot of fun on back roads in without going to jail or killing people.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by ta240; 02-27-2018 at 12:14 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page