ZCar Forum banner

Which Oil pressure gauge do I need?

913 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  ensys 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a 6/77 280z.

Looking at zcardepot based on my model date, I need the one with the "T" connector, however my original wiring is a bullet type.
I already bought 2 bullet type ones, one has a larger opening (left one, however zcardepot says this is for red light only) and a larger plated one with a very small opening (however zcardepot says this is correct till 2/77).

The old pressure sender (middle) that was on my car has a larger opening and is not a "T" connection, and I don't have a red light in my dash.
So I'm confused, which of the 2 I bought is correct?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Pull the connector on the bottom of your AFM and count the number of wires in the connector. Seven wires means that you have the old style of AFM and the fuel pump contacts are included.

I think from reading 7 pins means your oil sender is only for the dash gauge. If the sender only runs the dash gauge, it doesn't matter what sender you have. It only has to fit and send data to the gauge and not the EFI. What problem were you trying to correct?

A combination of Youtube, the FSM & looking at your car will get you the info.

Here's 1 link.

#3 · (Edited)
My AFM has 7 wires, so that would mean both the switch (left in the picture) and sender (right) are correct?

I am replacing the front and rear main oil seals, and the oil seals in the transmission, because everything was caked in oil. Since the oil pressure drops at idle to something like 10 lb/in2, I thought perhaps it's better to replace the sender too. Although I believe I've read it isn't a huge concern when the pressure drops somewhat at lower RPM.

#4 ·
Either one. Size of the hole doesn't matter. (Pressure doesn't change with the size of the orifice, flow does. The sender is not measuring flow, it's measuring pressure.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.