ZCar Forum banner

anybody hear of this..air intake.....

3K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  2007silverracer 
#1 ·
TAKEDA...I assume its japan made, duel air intake ..claims to give 18hp..on a 370z...saw on ebay :-\ :-\ :-\

#3 ·
Zcar.com used to be a happening place back in the day. I remember a few years ago if you didn't check the boards every few hours your post would end on page 2, things used to move much faster then. Yeah, I've been a member for 7+ years, i've lost count. Thats one of the main reasons I don't frequent here very often anymore.

Anyway, in regards to your question don't bother. I a couple guys on a more active 370z forum dyno tested these and saw no gains at all. Right now the contentender are the Stillen Gen 3's and K&N typhoon. The Gen 3's are good for about 15-18hp over stock, dyno proven by actual owners. The k&n's have been shown to give 7-10hp. Lastly the k&n drop in filters that utilize the stock air box have shown 4-5hp over stock.

The Gen 3's: These give the biggest gains but cost the most at 500+. They also require cutting through the radiator support and removal of the front bumper to install. Maintance requires removal of the bumper to access the filters for cleaing and/or inspection.

The K&N typhoon: This is a short ram filter and as such does not provide as much power. Out of all the short ram intakes out there, like the Takeda you are asking about, it's pretty much the best one available in regards of power gains and quality. Easy to install and maintain

The stock k&n: These are pretty self explainitory. Easy to install and still provides gains without the racer look and voided warrenty issues.

All this being said there is one thing you need to understand. While these intakes provide good gains on their own if you have other mods the gains of the intake deminish. Essentially those who already had exhaust mods and then went to install an intake all saw about the same results, 5-7hp. What that means is that even if you got the Gen 3's yo would still only gain 5-7hp. So Personally, why would I spend 500+ bucks on an intake when I could spend 60 bucks on drop in filters for the same gain. While at the same time avioiding the hassel of installing an intake. The only reason I would go for an intake is for the look or sound that it gives but from a performance standpoint and when you are talking about in cojuction of other mods drop in filters are the best.

Hope this makes sense and if not just post your question and I'll try to remember to check back here.

#4 ·
280z/300zx said:
Zcar.com used to be a happening place back in the day. I remember a few years ago if you didn't check the boards every few hours your post would end on page 2, things used to move much faster then. Yeah, I've been a member for 7+ years, i've lost count. Thats one of the main reasons I don't frequent here very often anymore.

Anyway, in regards to your question don't bother. I a couple guys on a more active 370z forum dyno tested these and saw no gains at all. Right now the contentender are the Stillen Gen 3's and K&N typhoon. The Gen 3's are good for about 15-18hp over stock, dyno proven by actual owners. The k&n's have been shown to give 7-10hp. Lastly the k&n drop in filters that utilize the stock air box have shown 4-5hp over stock.

The Gen 3's: These give the biggest gains but cost the most at 500+. They also require cutting through the radiator support and removal of the front bumper to install. Maintance requires removal of the bumper to access the filters for cleaing and/or inspection.

The K&N typhoon: This is a short ram filter and as such does not provide as much power. Out of all the short ram intakes out there, like the Takeda you are asking about, it's pretty much the best one available in regards of power gains and quality. Easy to install and maintain

The stock k&n: These are pretty self explainitory. Easy to install and still provides gains without the racer look and voided warrenty issues.

All this being said there is one thing you need to understand. While these intakes provide good gains on their own if you have other mods the gains of the intake deminish. Essentially those who already had exhaust mods and then went to install an intake all saw about the same results, 5-7hp. What that means is that even if you got the Gen 3's yo would still only gain 5-7hp. So Personally, why would I spend 500+ bucks on an intake when I could spend 60 bucks on drop in filters for the same gain. While at the same time avioiding the hassel of installing an intake. The only reason I would go for an intake is for the look or sound that it gives but from a performance standpoint and when you are talking about in conjuction of other mods drop in filters are the best.

Hope this makes sense and if not just post your question and I'll try to remember to check back here.

#6 ·
No intakes on mine. When the time comes I'll be replacing the stock filters with k&n drop in's. Considering all the dyno's and research I've done I don't see the point in going with an intake considering my Nismo already has an aftermarket CBE and comes from the factory with a tune. Plus, I'm really not concerned about obtaining every lost hp out of this car. I did the heavily mod thing on my 280z and it's a pain in the ass. 2nd, most people with bolt on's are only seeing 12.8-12.9 which compared to the stock 13.1-13.3 is not a big enough change for me to go after. 3rdly, I already have traction issues with the current set up, so until I get better tires I'm fine with the power I have.

Honestly this is my starter car (the one I got for myself after finishing med school) and when the time comes that I want more power I'll move up to the new C7 Vette when that comes out or maybe a GTR.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.