Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z - View Single Post - Econo 510 Resto
Thread: Econo 510 Resto
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 09:47 PM Thread Starter
blue

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Econo 510 Resto

Some pics of my buddy's econo resto

Calif '70 510 The car was last run in Denver before we picked it up in Boston. Took a while for me to figure that that carbs were set for mile high operation. We drove it back from Boston (dropped by Roost Monkeys for a very nice visit). The PO made it very Ghetto and the huge wheels and 0 springs made a rough ride plus the wheels were too big for the wheel wells (we could not turn more than 15 degrees w/o rub!).

Nearly stripped! What a treat. All fasteners came out w/o need for heat or penetrating fluids... well I had to tap the philip's with a hammer to get one screw out.. LOL You guys on the west coast have it so easy!!!!!

Like the flat black spray bomb paint job? LOL "da Bomb"

Undercoating grafitti. That stuff is on good

After dry ice (way over rated) We found that wiping varsol loaded rags worked best. Just let the stuff soak and it wipes right off.

Fresh after varsol rub.

We sanded the rust spots then wiped with mineral spirits to remove the varsol residue. We then we flamed the seams with a propane torch to evaporate any trapped solvent.

We let it dry for a day then sprayed the Rustcheck rust convertor to neutralize any rust and all exposed metal

Two brushed on coats of thick Tremclad grey primer

Two brushed on coats of Tremclad gloss rust paint. Good enough for rock and roll.

Now time to hand over to the pros for the real work! Stay tuned.

Post Edited (Mar 19, 9:38pm)

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome