New owner of a one owner 78 5-speed. need help - Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-23-2014, 04:36 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
New owner of a one owner 78 5-speed. need help

I'm not sure how to edit anything on the mobile version, I'm located in Washington state. I currently drive a 90 300zx, and I just purchased a 78 280z that has been sitting for the last 15 years. It's and interesting story... I'd known about the car for years but the man who lived in the house has some mental disabilities and was always hostil when you asked about the car I would later find out that it belonged to his sister who died of a heart attack. My wife and I recently decided to try asking one more time I happed to go when his care taker was there. I found out from her that the car was willed to a woman in Arizona and gave me her information. I called her and she immediately accepted my offer. By this point the man who lived in the house had changed his attitude and was extremely happy the car was leaving. Now to the car, the man had some interesting ideas which caused him to do some interesting things like throw away all the badges, the gas cap, the oil cap, the radiator cap, cut the belts and throw out the sparkplugs. He actually did me a favor by draining the gas. But the missing plugs have me worried about the engine, it was a meticulously maintained car when it was parked under a protected carport. The car has 54,000 original miles, ac, perfect interior, absolutely no rust (seriously), decent paint, and a straight body. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't run, but I know I need to get it lubed up before even trying to crank it. My question is, is there any way to drive the oil pump without cranking? Any other precautions I should take so I don't damage anything?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-23-2014, 05:35 PM

I can't be of any help with your question but just wanted to say, that's a **** of a story, man.

1978 280z, 4-speed
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-23-2014, 07:01 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Haha, yeah I left out the part where a "friend" found out I got the owner's information and tried to buy it out from under me. I wish it would let me post the pics, but I'm on my phone and it keeps giving me an error message.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-23-2014, 07:43 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 706 Post(s)
The first things you might do are to drain the oil, or at least the bottom quart or two of whatever is in there, and see if any water comes out. 12 years of condensation cycles can generate a lot of water. If it's all oil that's a good sign. Then squirt a few teaspoons of oil in each cylinder and let it sit for a while, surface tension will drag it around the rings. Or you can get some fogging spray and fill the plug holes to be extra safe. That will get you compression and save the rings and cylinder walls from excess wear. Pop the valve cover and inspect the cam shaft for rust. If it's rust-free, and there's no water in the oil pan, you'll probably be okay with just pouring some oil over the lobes, then spinning the engine without the plugs in to get everything lubed up. Leave the valve cover off and you'll see oil oozing from the cam lobe holes after a few seconds of spinning.

Once you get oil running through the cam, it will be about where it was when it was shut off, except for surface rust in the cylinders. Not much you can do about that unless you tear the engine down. It will wear off pretty quickly if you decide to run it as-is.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-23-2014, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for all that information! That's what I was looking for. He actually drained the oil and removed the filter also... is that a bad thing? What exactly do you mean by fogging spray? I looked in the oil cap hole with a flashlight and everything looked extremely clean. But I will pull the valve cover and do exactly what you suggested.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-03-2015, 06:36 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
The car has been on the road for a while now! I'll post pics soon
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-03-2015, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-03-2015, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-03-2015, 06:57 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-03-2015, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page