My Azure Blue Pearl Z32 300ZX and Datsun 280Z - Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z
User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-12-2014, 02:41 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
My Azure Blue Pearl Z32 300ZX and Datsun 280Z

First off, I'm a new member so I'd like to introduce myself. My name is Chase and I live in Murfreesboro Tennessee (about 30 min south of Nashville). I'm a 20 year old college student at Middle Tennessee State University. I have a 1990 Azure Blue Pearl Z32 300ZX and a 1975 Datsun 280Z. I'll try to provide some background and show a little of what I've done to both of them.

The first car that came along was the Datsun. I was at our local car show one night a few years back and saw an amazing orange colored sports car. I had no idea what it was at the time but I couldn't stop looking at it. I later found out that what I had been looking at was a Datsun 240Z. As soon as I got home I was on YouTube watching videos of Datsun Zs. At that point I was sold, I had to have one. I began searching on our local Craigslist and quickly realized how hard it was to find one of the early Z cars in decent condition that didn't cost a million dollars... I had been looking for about two months and hadn't even found one worth going to look at. That's about when my luck changed. I saw a new ad that had just been posted for a green 280Z at an unbelievable price and it wasn't too far away. That night I came home with this.

[IMG][/IMG]

Other than the fact that I removed the big 280 bumpers as soon as I got home, this is exactly how it came. I wasn't a huge fan of the green at first but the car was so clean and it was at an incredible price. The paint is mostly original (it even has the factory paint code decals still on it) and there wasn't any rust! The interior was all original as well and in great condition. Since I was going to daily the car I wanted a 280 for the fuel injection, but I really liked the look of the 240 better so that's what I strived to replicate in the modifications I made to it.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I got a set of Rota Shakotan wheels which are replicas of Hayashi Streets, one of the more popular aftermarket wheels of 1970's Japan. I vinyl wrapped the hood black to replicate the rare Japanese market Fairlady 432R. I also installed a 240Z front bumper and wooden steering wheel. I later found a 240Z horn button which is on it now. The car was daily driven in this form for about a year and gave me ZERO problems! Not once did the car fail to start or break down on me. You couldn't ask for anything more of a car this old. However, I decided that driving a 40ish year old car in such good condition daily and parking it in a high school/college parking lot probably wasn't the greatest idea of all time... So once again I took to Craigslist, only this time in search of something a little more modern. I was really looking for a S14 240SX. Somehow in searching for a 240SX I came across a bone stock, light blue colored Z32 300ZX. Blue being my favorite color, the car definitely caught my eye. I had never seen one that color before. After doing some research I found out that it was one of the rarest colors that 300s were made in. Like the Datsun, I went to look at it and it turned out to be too good of a deal to pass on.

[IMG][/IMG]
Picking it up!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

After I got home with it I did some more research on the Z registry. I ran the VIN and it showed that they only made 86 just like this one! It has every option except for an automatic transmission and the twin turbo engine (no twin turbo models were made in this color). I decided to go a little more crazy with the modification on this car. *NOTE* Before anybody freaks out and asks why I'd modify a clean, stock Azure Blue Pearl 300ZX I'd like to say that I never do anything to cars that can't be put back to stock. This car could be bone stock again tomorrow if I wanted it to be.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

This thread is already getting pretty long so instead of detailing every change I'll just give a mod list and if you have any questions you can ask.
-Wheels are XXR 531 Platinum finish 18x9.5 +20 with 225/40 tires
-Nardi Classic wood steering wheel
-CX Racing Coilovers and I slightly rolled the fenders (no pull)
-Megan Racing short throw shifter with Z1 Motorsports brass bushings
-Rear window diffuser and rear wiper deleted
-Some custom taillights I made
-Catback exhaust
-Modified rear interior pieces to accommodate strut tower brace
-Sock monkey in trunk for +20 horsepower
-Probably some other stuff I'm forgetting

As you can probably tell, I really like both of these cars and have spent a lot of time working on them to make them better (at least in my opinion ). While they're both Z cars, they offer such different experiences and that's why I love them both and also why I'm such a huge fan of Zs in general. If you have any questions about either car, don't hesitate to ask!

[IMG][/IMG]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-12-2014, 03:20 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Awesome job on the cars!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-13-2014, 08:05 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Nice cars! Good job.

Look me up at Cars and Coffee in Franklin... looks like one of those pics is from there. I go virtually every week.

I have the gray 1971 240Z with the headlight covers and occasionally take my 2011 silver 370Z.

Might want to check out www.middletennesseezclub.com too.

Randy in Nashville
Middle Tennessee Z Club
1971 240Z, 1995 300ZX TT & 2017 Corvette Grand Sport
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-13-2014, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by datsun240z71 View Post
Nice cars! Good job.

Look me up at Cars and Coffee in Franklin... looks like one of those pics is from there. I go virtually every week.

I have the gray 1971 240Z with the headlight covers and occasionally take my 2011 silver 370Z.

Might want to check out www.middletennesseezclub.com too.
Thanks! You were right, the pic beside the 2015 Nismo 370Z was at Cars and Coffee in Franklin. That was the first time I had gone to it and it was a lot of fun. I'll definitely start going there more regularly. As for the Middle TN Z Club, I'm not a member but I went to their "Z Attack" meet this year and had a blast. I even made a little video of it. -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppCJ2uvfGpY
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-17-2014, 12:44 PM
ZCAR.COM Vendor

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Welcome to the forums Chase!

Great looking Z's

(Do you have more pictures of the S14?) I have an S14 myself

Nick C.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-17-2014, 03:28 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzureBlue300 View Post
Thanks! You were right, the pic beside the 2015 Nismo 370Z was at Cars and Coffee in Franklin. That was the first time I had gone to it and it was a lot of fun. I'll definitely start going there more regularly. As for the Middle TN Z Club, I'm not a member but I went to their "Z Attack" meet this year and had a blast. I even made a little video of it. -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppCJ2uvfGpY
I'm the guy that did the awards ceremony, etc.

Great video.

Thanks for participating and glad you liked it!

Randy in Nashville
Middle Tennessee Z Club
1971 240Z, 1995 300ZX TT & 2017 Corvette Grand Sport
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-18-2014, 02:25 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diode Dynamics View Post
Welcome to the forums Chase!

Great looking Z's

(Do you have more pictures of the S14?) I have an S14 myself

Nick C.
Thanks! The S14 is not mine though. It belongs to zcar.com member "Tennessee Z". It's a really clean car. It just got repainted a couple weeks ago and has a built redtop SR.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-19-2014, 11:56 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Here's a little edit I threw together of my friend's 350 and my 280. I really like this one!

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-25-2014, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
A few pics from a recent photo shoot in Franklin Tennessee!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in