September 2008 Z Car of the Month: My stock (not for long)72 Z car - Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z
User Tag List

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-07-2008, 08:41 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
September 2008 Z Car of the Month: My stock (not for long)72 Z car

Here's my 72 240z. It was restored to stock condition a few years back when you could still get NOS parts.I'm thinking of new wheels,tires and suspension. If anyone has some good ideas let me know as it's been about 25 years from my last Z car so I'm not clued in to what's out there yet.

[attachment 4525 DSC03535.JPG]

[attachment 4528 DSC03542.JPG]
[attachment 4529 DSC03541.JPG]
[attachment 4531 DSC03531.JPG]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-07-2008, 10:09 PM

That Z is breath taking.................

I wouldn't change a thing. That car is a beautiful expample of the heritage our Z's came from and what they looked like untouched from the factory.

If you do upgrade the wheels, put those stock ones in good storage so you can keep the car all original if you ever decide to sell it.

Please share more of the Z's story. I would like to know more about it's history. Was it one of the cars restored by Nissan in the mid 90's?

That engine bay is immaculate. The interior is beautiful and the exterior is very well done. That is a super clean example of a 72.

Like I said, I wouldn't touch a thing.

I really enjoyed viewing the pics, please post more.

Crossville Tn 1983 ZX Daily Driver
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-07-2008, 11:28 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Re: That Z is breath taking.................

Thanks for the kind words about the Z. It was restored by a friend of mind who lives in Texas. He got the bug to do another car so he sold me the Z. I did some of the work but the bulk of the restoration was done by him. He striped it down to a bare shell and went from there.It took him about 5 years to complete the job. Every nut, bolt,line etc. was replaced with NOS when ever possible.What couldn't be replaced was striped and recoated . I remember him locating things like the door panels in Japan and having them shipped over here to the states.Searching Dealers inventory all over the country just to locate the right parts. It truly was a labor of love. I have another silver 1972 Z that I'm in the process of redoing myself right now. I'll post some pic's of it in the near future as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-08-2008, 12:19 AM

That explains the car's appearance!

Truly a labor of love for the old Z car. You both should take alot of pride in that project. I have seen it's equal but not it's superior.

Do you plan to attend any Z car events or shows this year? A car of that caliper should definitely be on display at some of the premier events, especially the national convention in Cleveland.

Is the car still in Texas? Not being nosy, but if you are anywhere near Tennessee, please bring that Z to ZAttack in Nashville the second week of April.

It would be an honor to get to see that Z in person.

That is the kind of early Z car project that needs to be documented in extreme detail with digital pics so future restorations can use them as a road map.

Congrats on being the new keeper of that time piece!!!

Crossville Tn 1983 ZX Daily Driver
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-08-2008, 01:14 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Re: That explains the car's appearance!

Thanks again for the kind words. I live in western Washington state so I wouldn't be able to attend any shows in your neck of the woods but I do plan on finding some show out here in the to try my luck at.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-08-2008, 10:35 AM

Re: My stock (not for long)72 Z car

just curious.. how much did you pay for it?

Currently Zless
Z's I've owned:

'71 240Z White
'73 240Z Orange
'05 350Z Chrome Silver Touring

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-08-2008, 11:05 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

holy cow! dont you DARE modify that car! Its stock-a-licious. Keep it that way! thanks for posting.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 05:48 AM

I agree with GT_McCann, I wouldn't modify this car. These perfect examples of Z's should be left alone in my own opinion. MAYBE change the wheels, just because that is a superficial element that can easily changed back to stock without any damage to the car itself.

VERY clean example of what a 240z looked like back in the day. I hope it stays in that condition for years to come.

Enjoy it!!

Chris
76 280z
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-15-2008, 10:18 PM

Holy Mother of God!!!!I think i'm in love!!!!How much???

1971 240z SOLD

JR wrote "It took me 20 years — more, actually — to realize that just because I got a car for cheap doesn't mean it stayed that way"
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-16-2008, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

I thank you guys for all the kind words about the car. I think I'll keep the car in it's stock condition except for the springs, wheels and tires. This way I can convert it back to stock if I so choose. As far as the price goes,I got the car for $9,000. which I thought was a good deal. I'm going to work on my other silver 72z with maybe an RB motor or ? I'm still open to suggestions.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page