LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 03:28 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
1975 280z

Hello,
I have a 1975 280Z which has been garage kept for the it life and have inherited when my brother passed. I do not know what the market is for this car so any advise would be appreciated. I know that it is all original and engine still runs good. has not been inspected for the last two years and not driven that much either. Thus would want to know a good asking price. Thanks, Pender
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 07:18 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
has to so with condition and location. Z cars located in the NE tend to have a LOT of rust, if it was garaged its entire life and not exposed to road salt that would be good.

You have to take a lot of pictures covering every inch of the car. Hot spots are under the battery, under the brake master, under the carpet on the floor boards, the spare tire well, the rear hatch opening lower corners. Fender wells around the struts. under the doors.

Need to know if it has ever been wrecked, need the entire bottom photographs. Best way is to have it on a lift, as long as the person putting it on the lift knows the correct lift point.

The point being unless you can document the car with this level of detail it is IMPOSSIBLE to give you an estimate. Body work to repair rust damage and or frame damage from a wreck is very expensive, and any one thinking of buying it with out though knowledge of all the above will have to assume the worse and make offers with that in mind.

You best bet would be to give a location and see if any members are near you to look it over and give advise on what pictures are needed, and tell you what you need to disclose. Only then should you ask for opinions on value.

There have been some very high prices paid recently but that is by rabid collectors with very particular requirements on not only condition but serial number an model year. Typically very early 240's.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 01:13 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thank you for your valued suggestions and will see if there are any folks in the Warminster area of pa. that could swing by and let me know what has to done. Thanks again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 09:25 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
I'm not far from Warminster. What do you need help with?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
1975 280z

Hi Again,
I am going to attach a picture of the z that I have. Hopefully it will show up on the posting. Pender
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 1975 280Z.pdf (109.1 KB, 16 views)
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Just trying to get an idea of the value for resale. Don't know the asking price for this classic car.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 09:27 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Sorry, I don't know much about values. What's the mileage?

Have you looked at ebay and craigslist?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 01:26 AM

looks nice but without the details I mentioned it can not be determined from just a pic. A range is useless since you will just pick the high end most likely as a asking price, which may very well scare off any interest.

Your best bet is all the pic I mentioned, a video of it starting from cold, drivng, all the electrical stuff working (lights/radio/turn signal)

I don't recall if you said AC equipped, that's a plus IF its working if not it will be assume that everything needs to be replaced.

Selling stuff on the net is risky with a car this old, you will get only low offers since again, the buyer is at such a disadvantage without a lot of pics from a critical eye. If were selling a car I would attempt to find every flaw and highlight it. Nothing worse that pics taken to hide flaws. Hopefully someone local to you will be your best chance at a buyer if you are not interested in going thru the process needed to sell on the net. your best bet a determining the market value is to get all the pic/video/documents and list it on ebay for bring a trailer. Let the market decide.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Dave M,
Thank you for the advice and the time you have taken. I really appreciate it. I will make a list of the flaws as you suggested. It does not have a/c. And will give the mileage and any upgrades. Keep you eye open for the update. Thanks again, Pender
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 02:50 PM

No AC will hurt any where but in very cool climates. So folks like to "upgrade" which generally decreases value (funny how that works, spend money, decrease value) mainly due to the collectors preferring completely stock. Folks looking to "upgrade" what a low starting price so they have more budget to spend. Best of luck on it.

240's never came with factory AC (it was a dealer add on and not very well engineered) so the purist don't mind them lacking it. 280's are more car all the way around (including weight). Generally the market prefers 240's but 280's are a better car IMHO, and the value will continue to climb.

Last edited by Dave M; 07-31-2019 at 02:53 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in