LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 12:27 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
1988 300zx Florida

1988 300zx N/A 2+2 Automatic For Sale

There is a lot of information here, I feel that anyone looking into this should know EVERYTHING about the car that I know.

I have decided to sell my '88 Z31. (Yes it runs and drives.) Although I love the idea of having three of them, I need to clear some space in the driveway. Basically, the run down is that I had driven it as a daily when I moved up to Pennsylvania to go to college about a year and a half ago. I already had one in Florida, but I couldn't take it with me - so I found the car I knew and loved and bought one once again. The man I bought it from had no idea about anything in regards to the car, he basically had it just to have it. He got it from a friend and never drove it. I had a couple minor problems with it, which I will list below. Basically, there are a couple of reasons I am selling it (if you don't care you can skip to the problems list).

I just bought an '86 z (since it is my favorite body style it, had low millage, etc. etc.), SO that means I have three of the same car now - 86 87 and 88. It's really not practical for a 20 year old to have three cars, let alone two really.

Another reason I intend on selling it is because I have to pay some money back to both Penn State and Florida Atlantic University since I had to take out loans in PA and then I got screwed over by FAU's registration where the classes I chose reverted to where I was no longer in them. Since I never got financial aid (due to not having a full-time schedule) and had been in the classes (the ones that I was able to get back into after the mix up) for a couple weeks I was fee-liable and even though I dropped the classes, they are expecting me to pay them almost the full amount for the classes. Bummer.

Reason 3 ties into the last reason, and that is partially due to the fact that I do not currently work full time. Since I recently moved back to Florida, I had to quit the job I had up north and now i have to look for a new one. However, I do odd jobs for people, help out others, do paid surveys, and sell some things that I don't need, but it really doesn't cut it. I will hopefully be starting work soon, I have interviews and such coming up.

Problems list
I will do my best to add as much as I can recall. Most are pretty minor problems.

-Paint is peeling. (i think the previous owner tried to spraypaint the thing and it didn't come out to well.)

-Headlight switch works now.(even though the previous owner didn't tell me the lights were messed up. I had to find that out the night i drove it home in the pitch black mountains)

-the hoses were a little rotted and the car did start to over heat, though the temp gauge is rarely illuminated, it hasn't overheated since I replaced a couple badly blown hoses. there is a poorly rigged bypass of the heater core as well. Those hoses will definitely need to be replaced and the core will need to be re-installed. I think all hoses should also be evaluated as well.

-The interior is pretty good for the most part. Some parts that are not so pretty, are the tears in the passenger seat, a couple small tears in the driver seat, and a couple little tears in the back seat arm rest/wheel well indent or whatever. The center console is pretty cracked where the hinge is, so it opens oddly. All of the airvents except the far left driver side one are a little wonky too, but playing with them a little can get them to at least look like good. The louvers for the air vents just don't all move proportionately.

-The biggest for me is the car has some electrical problems. Probably stemming from the immensely terrible rigging of the headlight wires.
The previous owner probably resorted to wire splicing and reverting wires when the hadlight switch failed. Since he knew nothing, he didn't fix the switch, rather he tried to make it work with alternative methods. The healights were spliced together with a telephone wire, which worked, but probably relays electricity terribly. The left headlight plug has melted a lot and it is very hard to get the bulb to make contact. The right headlight plug is slightly melted and also has a little trouble making connection. sometimes the lights will work if you jiggle it, sometimes they are dim from poor contact, and sometimes you are out of luck and they just wont turn on. In the driver side floor fuse box, some fuses melt over time too. Not blown, but melt the plastic casing. I think that they just get so hot and melt, someone told me they might be super cheap and crappy fuses, but i assume it's a combination. The headlight fuses melt a very tiny bit, the AC ones melt quite quickly. other than that, i think the rest of the fuses do fairly well. One fog light works, but that's the same for my '87, so it's probably another common problem that can be fixed. i just have not looked into it much yet.

some extra parts and "mods" I have

- '84-'86 (zenki) headlights
- N/A Hood (zenki)
-Rear Hatch ('86)
-center console and console lid
-The heater core that was previously in the engine (will come with the car regardless)
-The old radio (there is an aftermarket one installed, but not connected with an amp yet so it doesn't play through the speakers) but I might take the adapter I made for it in case I want to put another radio into the z I drive now.
-There are Enkei EV5 wheels on it now, but I have the OEM wheels as well.
-'86 OEM wing. (I might keep that for the car i use now unless someone needs it.)

SO let's get to the sales part. I bought the car for $2500 and I wanted to get my money back for it. I realized that the probability of that is not too high. With that being said, I am going to ask for $2200 OBO without any of the extra parts. The extra parts are for sale as well, but I don't have any specified price for them yet. You can give me an offer on those too. If you want the Enkei wheels on it, then I would have to bump it up another $500 because they are less than a year old. PLEASE help me out and make an offer for at least something.

CONTACT ME
Best by phone (text/call): (631)312-4411
Email: [email protected]

Thank you for taking the time to read this!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 10-09-2017, 01:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
is the old radio just the base cassette model? Mine likes to click sometimes for like 15 minutes when I put in my AC/DC tape. Then it stops and is fine again lol. I would like a replacement so I can jam.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page