LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old Today, 10:20 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
1979 280zx 2+2 $800

Hello friends,

It's my turn for the "all too typical" story that I've read here over the years.

I have owned this car for about 10 years with the intention of transplanting the power train after I built my pole barn. Long story made short, that isn't in the cards. Two boys headed to college over the next eight years and we are moving into town where I can't build the pole barn. This dream just needs to wait. I would much rather offer the car for sale here first since this community helped me learn a ton about working on this vehicle.

About the car-

Located in Willard, Ohio.
Miles are likely 139k. Odometer shows 39k, Clean Ohio title shows 34k if memory serves (I need to find it in a moving box)

Body and paint is rough, but the engine runs strong, transmission and clutch work well and she steers and brakes adequately to buzz around a little. I haven't driven many miles on her; especially the last three or four years and when I do, I don't push her hard and she doesn't break down. It was re-painted black at some point before my ownership, but was originally brown. Rear window seals leak and it was stored outside. The mice were a constant challenge to keep out and the interior carpet and upholstery are not salvageable in my opinion. They weren't when I bought it either.

Work I can recall, Issues I remember:

Usual tune-up when bought- ALL fluids changed, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, vacuum hoses, valve clearances and compression checked. Seafoamed.
New tires about 9 years ago with maybe 5k miles on them now. Mag wheels from another model year bought as temporary, but never finished bead blasting and powder coating the original wheels.
Yes I do still have the original wheels and both sets go with the car.

Starter rebuilt by Charles Auto Electric in Akron, OH.
Windshield is cracked, I have the bottom trim missing in the picture.
NOS air boot from MAF sensor to throttle body (amazing how smooth it idles after that)
Ignition Control Module replaced with an alternative module bolted inside the fender. (need to get a photo for you, but works well)
Clutch slave cylinder and hydraulic hose (last fall)
Brake Master Cylinder may have been replaced, memory is fuzzy on that. I know I have bled the brakes a few times, so I'm thinking one of those was the master cylinder replacement because I recall bleeding the master cylinder back into the reservoirs.
Emergency Brake worked, but sticks. Have not engaged it in years.
Transmission housing has a hairline crack right at the drain plug. I used teflon tape on the plug, but it still drips a tiny bit after driving.
Replaced the shift lever bushings with the (Chrysler?) brass door hinge-pin bushings I saw on this site ages ago. Man that tightened up the slop back to a real shifting feel. (Excellent advice)
Transmission mounts replaced.
Exhaust replaced with 2.5 inch pipe as straight as my guy could make it. Glass pack in the middle turned backwards as a resonator, turbo muffler on the end. Cut it out straight behind the driver instead of 2 more 90 degree bends to the passenger side.
Cone air filter mounted out of ease to clean air filter housing, never reinstalled original. Still have it and its included.
Heater squirrel cage and blower are not installed, but work. (Attempt to take away a mouse nest issue)
Power Steering belt was taken off. Hoses leak and didn't want to burn up the pump. Never got around to replacing the hoses.
Battery is dead, but starts with my booster pack.
Various parts will go with the car. If its Z related and in my garage or house, it goes with the car.

That's all I can remember tonight. I will be traveling for work the next few days. If I seem unresponsive, send me a reminder to check the Zcar forums to [email protected]
I'll be glad to take better/more pictures this weekend. Here is a link to a few I snapped yesterday.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/DbwXz1sc4bw7Xb9v8

I would prefer someone to pick her up or meet nearby and drive her on your trailer as opposed to trying to drive her very far. She hasn't gone farther than a few miles the last 3 or 4 years and its really the brakes that would concern me. I never replaced the hydraulic hoses or calipers and just don't trust them.

Thanks for all the help over the years, and thanks for reading this post.
Jason

1979 280ZX 2+2, less than stock, but loads of fun.

Last edited by daleholiday; Today at 10:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page