User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 10:33 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Carbon Fiber Shaft

Hi... Does anyone here knows where I can get the carbon fiber prop shaft for my 75Z 2+2.
Is it more durable and better than steel shaft ?
My Z could push about 420hp at wheels.......
Thanks.

Last edited by zeeroo; 06-12-2019 at 10:35 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 07:30 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
A carbon shaft will give you a benefit in weight and rotational mass. But the strength is in the u-joints really. They are the weakest link. I would keep the stock shaft and have heavy duty u- joints installed and rebalanced.

The oxen are slow, but the Earth is patient.
1970 240Z, 1972 240Z, 2003 350Z
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 10:24 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Inland Empire Driveline Service will make both Aluminum and CF Driveshafts for the vehicle. We have an Aluminum one in the #220 Bonneville Car, so they should have all the measurements.
The Carbon Fiber allows you to run without a driveshaft hoop, since upon failure it won't pogo the chassis, it will break and turn back into fibers on compression.

Depending on what differential you are using, will depend on the U-Joints. We have Spicer 1320's on the Test Mule and it's holding over 700ft-lbs of torque now on a Turbocharged L3.0 - we used a companion flange from a later model Z31 Turbo (as I recall) on the input of the R200 Differential, it had a compatible saddle with the 1320, and IEDLS had a TKO (Ford) output shaft for the tranny that was compaitble with the 1320 on the other end.

What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun -- that means
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If I throw a dog a bone, I don't want to know if it tastes good or not. -- Brick Top
Canadians don't get it. Period. End of discussion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 10:30 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Just as a note, the rotational change of the Aluminum was good for some MPH in our testing, and for the cost, we stuck with Aluminum on both the N/A making 320 to the rear wheels, and for the Turbo Car making 763 to the rear wheels. It is going together again on another build, and we expect to be pushing over 800 to the rear wheels, still on the Aluminum one...

CF is nice, and is more of a safety thing if you expect to break U-Joints. For the cost of a universal Driveshaft Hoop from Summit....we just put one on there instead of the big dollars for the CF Shaft.

In either case, Inland Empire Driveline Service can make it, and they ship everywhere...unless you want to hop to ONT from LAX next trip, they are VERY close to ONT for a Will-Call Pickup! They actually have two locations now, on Guasti in Ontario and now over in Corona (if you are on the way to Aircraft Spruce)...

Contact information and both addresses are at the bottom of the homepage here:

www.iedls.com

What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun -- that means
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If I throw a dog a bone, I don't want to know if it tastes good or not. -- Brick Top
Canadians don't get it. Period. End of discussion.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Today, 09:38 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Great .... Thanks for the info....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page