Is this 240z worth the price? - Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-04-2017, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Cool Thoughts on this 240z?

Hey guys, new to the forums here. I've been looking to get a Z for a while now, but I live in an area where they only come up once in a blue moon. There's a 240z near me that I'm going to to look at today, but I wanted some opinions on it. Here is the craigslist ad:

rochester.craigslist.org/cto/d/1971-datsun-240z-4-speed/6178852543.html

I'll preface with I'm not much of a car guy, but I am very handy as I do woodworking, have dabbled in welding and I'd love to learn more about the car world.

One thing I noticed is the front panel driver side looks slightly lower. Would this involve having to retrim the entire driver side? The car is salvage from California, but I'm curious if it was previously in an accident which is why its misaligned. I've never owned a salavage car, but should this be something I should worry about?

There's a large crack on the dash, but I've looked up videos on people restoring dashes that are way worse. The interior isn't much of a concern for me, but it does seem to be missing a bunch of panels.

I know the Z's are pretty bad with rust, and the owner has used it as a daily driver for the past 2 years. Living in NYS, were they dump buckets of salt on the roads should I be concerned about this? Looks like the back fender under the driver door has some rust starting and I've heard this can be a major job to fix.

Overall, I think the car looks good and with the megasquirt and turbo ready engine this would be a fun car to have. What are your guys thoughts about it? I'd be able to put 2-3 grand into it immediately.

Last edited by Joseph Jankowiak; 08-04-2017 at 02:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 05:44 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Craiglist Photos sho alot, but also show nothing and do not say why is was 'salvage'.
For the price you can get a nicer example and drive it back yourself IMO. If he drops the price a couple grand so you have some room to fix some of the crap jobs he did on the car. . . maybe. The MS/EFI is a plus but I wonder how much he did given what appears to be total cluelessness about donor parts. The car appears to have sagging springs so no doubt he cut them instead of buying a proper set... And make no mistake this is NOT a 'turbo ready engine'! It just has a P90 from a turbo car on it. The block was a :Flat Top: F54 meaning higher compression than normal for a turbo. Why he changed from a perfectly good P79, who knows...doubt he does, sounds like he just inhereted a lot and then parroted what he was told without checking.

NY makes you trash cars that are abandoned, not so in CA. It may be from an accident where the car was valued at $2500 and any repair cost more than 50%. Very common. I bought a salvage Geo, drove it 150,000 miles, got hit, it got re-totaled, I sold it to a Mexican for what I bought it for six years earlier, and far as I know his wife is still driving it around. Salvage need not mean anything more than the insurance adjuster was lazy. In my geo's case, it was the front end of one car, the back end of another, and the powertrain out of a third, all recovered by police, then assembled and used in drug stings for 6 months...then sold to me! I bought it for 1/4 of blue book (Salvage normally sells for 1/2 blue book) and when I sold it six years later blue book was still twice what I paid for it! So I sold it as a salvage vehicle for 1/2 blue book.

Actually, the insurance paid us $3,500, but retained $500 scrap value and left the car with us. We advertized it for $750, and ended up selling it for $600 and a tuberculean goat with a dry cough and propensity to have multiple goatlets.

We bought a male, bred the goat, had three kids on first birthing, sold the kids for $150 each, and sold the known multiple mating pair back to the guy who sold us the male for $750!

All in all, I was very happy with that salvage sale car, and what I got out of it!

I suggest you stop looking in Rochester, start looking in LA, Inland Empire, Orange County, and Phoenix Craigslist...make up a list of prospects and take a Southwest flight out with a pocketful of cash and drive one back. It's been my suggestion for a long time, and many who have done it will never buy overpriced east coast resaled shyt again!

What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun -- that means
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If I throw a dog a bone, I don't want to know if it tastes good or not. -- Brick Top
Canadians don't get it. Period. End of discussion.

Last edited by Tony D; 08-08-2017 at 05:57 AM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 02:10 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
cars worth what you'll pay for it. east coast always a no go way over priced, cost of living and all. datsuns starting to show up at auctions so ive seen people assuming their non-garaged kept, 4/10's, modified z's increase in asking price.Id offer half price if it full throttles without hesitating and shift fine. Eww those door panels tho.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-11-2017, 10:39 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Yeah, east cost is really expensive. According to the car it's not the bad price, but as others think you can grab something better in this price. Depends if you are really care about money that much or you just follow your heart. I'm looking at craigslist everyday basically now as my buddy from DSRLeasing is interested in buying something as well, so I'm looking for some worthwhile cars.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-16-2017, 02:47 PM
Super Moderator

If you don't care about the money, you better have a lot!
Your heart won't fix shyt on a 240 that is incomplete or not running.

Why buy another's problems? Go to the source and drive it back.
Does your heart good, a lot better than soulless purchasing because it's "convenient"!

What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun -- that means
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If I throw a dog a bone, I don't want to know if it tastes good or not. -- Brick Top
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 07:57 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony D View Post
Craiglist Photos sho alot, but also show nothing and do not say why is was 'salvage'.
For the price you can get a nicer example and drive it back yourself IMO. If he drops the price a couple grand so you have some room to fix some of the crap jobs he did on the car. . . maybe. The MS/EFI is a plus but I wonder how much he did given what appears to be total cluelessness about donor parts. The car appears to have sagging springs so no doubt he cut them instead of buying a proper set... And make no mistake this is NOT a 'turbo ready engine'! It just has a P90 from a turbo car on it. The block was a :Flat Top: F54 meaning higher compression than normal for a turbo. Why he changed from a perfectly good P79, who knows...doubt he does, sounds like he just inhereted a lot and then parroted what he was told without checking.

NY makes you trash cars that are abandoned, not so in CA. It may be from an accident where the car was valued at $2500 and any repair cost more than 50%. Very common. I bought a salvage Geo, drove it 150,000 miles, got hit, it got re-totaled, I sold it to a Mexican for what I bought it for six years earlier, and far as I know his wife is still driving it around. Salvage need not mean anything more than the insurance adjuster was lazy. In my geo's case, it was the front end of one car, the back end of another, and the powertrain out of a third, all recovered by police, then assembled and used in drug stings for 6 months...then sold to me! I bought it for 1/4 of blue book (Salvage normally sells for 1/2 blue book) and when I sold it six years later blue book was still twice what I paid for it! So I sold it as a salvage vehicle for 1/2 blue book.

Actually, the insurance paid us $3,500, but retained $500 scrap value and left the car with us. We advertized it for $750, and ended up selling it for $600 and a tuberculean goat with a dry cough and propensity to have multiple goatlets.

We bought a male, bred the goat, had three kids on first birthing, sold the kids for $150 each, and sold the known multiple mating pair back to the guy who sold us the male for $750!

All in all, I was very happy with that salvage sale car, and what I got out of it!

I suggest you stop looking in Rochester, start looking in LA, Inland Empire, Orange County, and Phoenix Craigslist...make up a list of prospects and take a Southwest flight out with a pocketful of cash and drive one back. It's been my suggestion for a long time, and many who have done it will never buy overpriced east coast resaled shyt again!
haha at Tony, If I had a goat I would try to make some goat cheese and invite the neighbors over for some tacos.

I have a new favorite app on my phone called csmart and it searches all craigslists at once- I have not tried looking for goats yet but I bet it would work.

So , yeah there are always some deals out west.
Speaking of driving cars long distance- me and wife just splurged on a classic jeep, flew in after an inspection report, drove home 1100 miles. Not a bad weekend, if it was not her turn to get a fun vehicle I would have added another z to collection but I still need get one I have going first...

Onthego in Merritt Isl Florida
1970 240Z w Haltech the endless project.
1992 SC400-just turn key and go.
1968 Dodge D100-bad wheel bearing led to front disc conversion led to painless wireless harness led to frame up restore now in pieces...
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 04:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony D View Post
If you don't care about the money, you better have a lot!
Your heart won't fix shyt on a 240 that is incomplete or not running.

That's the truth. I bought a 240 that "only" needed a paint refresh and a couple other thing. 3 years later, 10's of thousands of dollars, and 2 accidents later, I parted it out and gave the carcass away. Man I loved that car and miss it everyday!

-John

73 240 (wrecked), PnP E88, webers, coil-overs, 17's, "Bolt-In Power Steering", train horns; you know, the norm... "Yea its green, but the chicks love it"

06 TL - Not a Z but it does have navi!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-08-2018, 12:36 PM
Super Moderator

Zarah’s and 73 GreenMachine’s after-accident hulks...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2742017D-4E39-4BDC-8A11-46DB0505E7C6_1523201477105.jpg (268.4 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 22AFEF92-1B34-473B-A656-80EAB7157445_1523201744510.jpg (168.8 KB, 16 views)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page