I don't WANT to Read, I don't WANT to Search, I don't want to hear "FSM"! - Page 3 - Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z
User Tag List

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-24-2014, 02:26 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Then again, when people are too stupid to realize the difference between a signature line, and a post....you REALLY wonder how well their 'searching' skills are... Especially when they can't differentiate between "Their" and "There"...etc.

Eating Lead Paint Chips in Subsidized Housing Leads to the issues we have here today, I'm convinced of it!

What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun -- that means
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If I throw a dog a bone, I don't want to know if it tastes good or not. -- Brick Top
Canadians don't get it. Period. End of discussion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-26-2014, 04:17 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

(Thread Starter)
There has been confusion on what constitutes "a kid" here when responding to posts. Generally, this represents the sliding-scale current status of the naming protocol, using simple math (those who are old enough to be entitled to use these, are old enough to do that math) can figure out the age ranges.

BIRTHDATE DEFINITIONS
2014-2002 - "Child"
2001-1998 - "Snotnosed-Kid"
1997-1993 - "Punkass-Kid"
1992-1987 - "Kid"

From that point, it really depends on how they comport themselves, a 27 year old can be a "Kid" if he's acting like one. Generally by the time your 25 psychologically you're 'cooked' and have configured your societal interaction modus into a fixed method. Till that point, you are and should be subject to correction from your elders.

You earn the right to start using these when you turn 40.

What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun -- that means
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If I throw a dog a bone, I don't want to know if it tastes good or not. -- Brick Top
post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 12:03 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

(Thread Starter)
^^^ The Above is obviously a sliding scale but once you're tagged by someone, it can stick forever in their references to you...

Saw this from my brother, and it's pretty scary the parallels to this hobby/site as well:

"This Stereo 35 works fine and sounds plenty good considering it's still running on what looks like the original multi-section power supply cap can from 1963! You should definitely replace the supply caps if you want to hear this amp at its very best but it's a heck of a testament to that old multi-section cap that it's still doing its job 50+ years later!

If you’re searching for old Dynas on eBay I don’t have to tell you the following but I will anyway: as with all vintage tube gear, the buyer assumes that he or she is entering into a more, let's say, involved relationship with a piece of gear than they would with a Sony A/V receiver. That means being handy with a soldering iron, knowing how to Google “schematic”, and being able to troubleshoot and repair vintage tube audio because the Geek Squad down at Best Buy ain't going to help you here.

You know all this, so why am I telling you? Because hipsters, that’s why. Some kid sees a blog with an old Dyna as a prop and decides he wants one for his “space age bachelor pad”, and then freaks out when he has to unwrap the tubes from the bubble wrap and put them in the sockets himself. Or a half-century's old carbon comp resistor needs replacing and wouldn’t you know it, the Radio Shack around the corner closed down last year and is now a free-range fedora shop.

So if you're a hipster and you've never owned a vintage tube amp before, don't bid on this item. I don't care if you've got a friend who's a DJ and he said he'd "hook you up" if you ever needed repair work done. You and he are both idiots, and you don't deserve to own a Dynaco Stereo 35 much less listen to music being amplified by one. I probably just saved you both from being electrocuted, so you're welcome.

One more time: don’t bid on this 50+ year-old vintage tube amp if you aren’t knee-deep into this tube stuff already. This is not Plug’n’Play, Bluetooth compatible, Android-ready, AirPlay streaming, Chinese made junk that’ll be obsolete a year from now. This Dynaco will dance on your grave, and the graves of your children’s children. It has outlived Vietnam, Nixon, Woodstock and disco, and it will still be making music long after the last MP3 file on the last drive self-corrupts. But what it won’t do is never need the usual care and feeding that comes with any vintage tube gear. Seller (me) is not responsible for a blown fuse a year from now, or a carbon comp resistor that cracked during shipping, or a new cat because you left the tube cage off and Mr. Winkle fell asleep on the EL84s. You buy vintage tube gear because you know what you’re doing and you can fix anything made of tubes, caps, resistors, and transformers. If that remark resembles you, then by all means bid away, good sir or madame, and may your snipe fu be stronger than the other guy's."

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page