P*ss Poor Planning yields P*ss Poor results - Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-09-2002, 09:52 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
P*ss Poor Planning yields P*ss Poor results

I bought a turbo engine yesturday. I am so happy now!

anyway, I didn't plan the whole trip at all. I didnt have an engine stand for it, I didnt have a cherry picker to take it out of the truck bed that transported it either. L28 Engines are frickin heavy ya know. I was thinking that most auto stores rent out cherry pickers so it would be no problem. I should have called first because in GA they don't and thats a big problem. Florida does! but I live in GA. I got the engine stand though.

I know people that own cherry pickers, but for some reason NOBODY was home. We couldn't really move that **** engine at all, so there was no way to lift it out of the bed by hand, we didnt have a swing set, etc. It was overcast, it rained like **** earlier and it seemed like it was going to rain again. I dont my engine ruined by rain. So I think my dad or brother decided to lighten the engine! I was going to take it apart anyway, so it was a good Idea. We proceded to take the manifolds off, the alternator and the AC compressor. Wow! it worked! my lil bro and I could lift the block with the head on it out of the truck and onto the stand. We only had 3 transmission bolts though, so we are hoping it will stay on the stand till we find something better to hold it on there.

Now, onto the rebuild!

Don't be stupid like me, don't plan your trip to pick up an engine the night before without first getting important things like ENGINE HOISTS. Equipment rental places are pretty much closed on saturdays.

1982 Datsun 280zx Turbo 2+2 with T-tops
1978 Datsun 280Z Turbo

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-09-2002, 12:52 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: P*ss Poor Planning yields P*ss Poor results

where u at in georgia??
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-09-2002, 01:05 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Re: P*ss Poor Planning yields P*ss Poor results

You know, I got sick of running around for that stuff so I just bought one of each. They are not to expensive if you shop around. I think I picked up my hoist for 150.00 out the door, and it sure has been such a help not worrying about renting and how to get it home and all that crap.

signed pseudotechnician view point, Sniper S^$ker, with girly arms : UCC 1-207
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-10-2002, 08:12 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
im in camden county GA

nc

1982 Datsun 280zx Turbo 2+2 with T-tops
1978 Datsun 280Z Turbo

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-10-2002, 05:16 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
my dad lives there

i am going to be down that way thursday my dad lives out on highway 17 right outside kingsland
dave
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page