Update on Open Road Race in Texas - April 4- 7 - Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-08-2001, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Update on Open Road Race in Texas - April 4- 7

Just a heads-up for everyone who expressed interest - The American Road Racing Association event in the Big Bend area of West Texas is coming up in April. The event runs from April 4 through April 7, and takes place on U.S. Highway 285 from Fort Stockton, Texas to Sanderson, Texas. ARRA has full state and local law enforcement support and involvement, and this event is divided into speed classes with qualifying speeds and tech speeds for each class.

The really exciting news is that there is a Z-car ONLY class! Z-cars will be able to compete for overall trophies, but they will also run against each other in this timed event for a "Top Z" trophy! For more information about the event, and for rules and regulations for each class, go to http://www.arraracing.com

If you're ready to move beyond four-block-long stoplight heroics and experience some real, sanctioned, run-what-you-brung SPEED, this is your chance. Classes range from an 85 mph Street Class to the 185+ mph Unlimited Class. Just be aware that this is the Real Deal, so there are entry fees and expenses involved, and if you want to run in the higher speed classes, your car MUST have the right safety equipment and be able to pass a tech scrutiny. No baling wire and chewing gum here, guys - it doesn't work very well at 140 mph!

Oh yeah, one other minor detail - the course is 59 miles long, and you run it both ways - North to South, then turn around, take a tech/repair/lunch break and run back South to North, over some very fast straights and some VERY tricky blind hill curves with hidden apexes that aren't visible until you're already into the corner. That's 118 miles of complete, unblinking, make-your-speed-or-hang-it-up concentration. How well is your Z put together? Will it hold up to extended top end operation? If this won't tell you, nothing will.

Kinda makes dusting the pimply-faced kid in his mustang for three or four blocks sound kinda lame, doesn't it?

See (some of) you there,

Frank

P.S. ALL types of Z-cars are welcome - no matter what year or modifications - just no jet engines, please.

http://www.arraracing.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-08-2001, 08:22 PM

RE: Update on Open Road Race in Texas - April 4- 7

Hi Frank;

Post the race results for us as this sounds like a lot of FUN!

Zeke
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-08-2001, 10:31 PM

I saw a show on tlc about this a while back. They had extremely modded vettes hitting 200+. They showed a few wrecks, they looked really bad at that high speed. The course is extrememly hard and fast. Fun though! :-)

Scott
www.flex.net/~mgwilson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-09-2001, 12:41 AM

Yo, Frank...

This is the type of racing I'm looking for. My 74 260 is my daily driver (all suspension has been replaced, driveline rebuilt). I have a 42 mile one way commute, of which 35 miles is 85-100 MPH. I know it can do more. I can't do the April race, but heard there is one in Vegas in Oct. I checked the website and saw only a race in Texas in Oct. What's the deal?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-09-2001, 02:10 AM
Ray

Hey all,
I know this sounds like a sales pitch but it isn't. Well maybe. In Fort Stockton there's a shop called Rainwater Motor Company. If you have any auto problems and you didn't bring your crew... These folks are honest and they are are good mechanics! When passing through Fort Stockton in my '90 Z32 a few months ago coming from Hollywood, Florida on my way to Alhambra, California my ride broke down. These people could have taken me to the bank doggy style because I was completely at their mercy.
Instead, I had to argue with them about CHARGING me something to ease my conscience when they sent me on my way home home because the car had a very minor problem. Can you dig that!
I wish I could be there for the race. Everyone in the area really gets into it. Ok then, cheers.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-15-2001, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Hey, Ray - that's just down-home West Texas hospitality, man. When you live out in the middle of desert, cactus, 115-120 degree heat and not much water, you learn how to get along with other people really fast, or you move!! Thanks for the kind words about the locals - people out there will do ANYTHING for you if you're in a jam - and half the time they get insulted when you offer to pay them! It may not be the "big city", but there is something to be said for that kind of lifestyle...

Hope some of my fellow Z-ers get a chance to experience it!

Frank
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-16-2001, 12:40 AM
Ray

Frank,
Your not kidding about the hospitality. I'm gonna make it a point to be there for 2002! Take some pictures dude!!! Post them on the net.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page