I'm BACK and working a the wife's Z - Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 04:07 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
I'm BACK and working a the wife's Z

Been a long time since I've posted here but I'm back to working on the Zs again. Current project is a complete engine replacement of the wife's 1990 Z32 TT. Picked up a 1995 JDM engine and now I'm getting things prepped for installation. Still need to remove the current engine but at I have started on it. The wire harness is off along with all the accessories, radiator, fan and intercooler connection pipes. Removed the starter motor and now getting ready to drop the exhaust. She's up on jack stands and looking sad but she's be smiling soon. I'll post more pics later but here's what I have on the replacement engine.

JDM engine as she came from supplier minus wire harness and ECU that I already have removed. Anyone need a 1995 TT ECU.:

Separated the transmission and got her on the engine stand with timing cover removed. The short timing cover bolts were rusted and I needed to use some creative thinking to get them off. Ended up using a new product from Husky Tools that did the trick. They're called Knurl Grip sockets. Used one smaller than the 8mm required and hammered it on. Did the trick easily on the three that were too buggered up to use the standard 8mm socket on:

Glad it was a 1995 model. Came with everything I wanted and what I didn't come with things I would have removed anyway. New style injectors, VTC solenoids and no EGR system. All in all it was in pretty good shape. Compression numbers were all around the 180 mark.

Removed the plenum for some needed water pipe removal and hose replacement:

Removed the T-belt and test fit the new water pump and thermostat:

And then began my inspection. All looked good but it does seem that the turbos would have to be replaced. Some small amount of oil was in the compressor outlet pipes but that was expected. No real play in them but I was planning on replacing both turbos anyway:

Turbos removed now as well. PB Blaster is my best friend.:

And the turbo grave yard:

Still trying to decide on which turbos to purchase. What ever I get I'm not wanting to pull then engine again any time soon, so new CHRAs are primary. It's the wife's car so I'm not planning on going crazy on injectors and larger turbos. Can't have her TT faster then mine.

Currently looking at either new CHRAs or Z1 "rebuilt turbos" that come with new CHRAs but reused housings. They do have one option that I'm considering but not sure if it's worth the additional cost. They have some GT525's on sale that look interesting.

They're not BB turbos but I like the 360 degree thrust bearing in the GT525's. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Either way I'm planning on new oil lines and gaskets.

That's it for now.

Nice to be back.

*-- Just some stuffy advice from a crabby old fart who's too set in his ways. --*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 02:18 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hey there JT!!! Thought you hit the lottery and moved to and island somewhere. Nice to see you drop in!

I have fought with reality and finally beat it
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Today, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Yep, it's been a while. Work got too involved and I has some terminal issues with the Z's so was out of it for some time. Getting things back in working order now. Hopefully will have one of three z's ready in a day or two and one other (the wife's TT) back in operation in a month or so. One TT is terminal and I'm using it for parts right now. Problem was a holed piston and bad suspension problems. Not worth fixing up so it's now the donor for the other 2. Once I get them running I'll just scrap it.

*-- Just some stuffy advice from a crabby old fart who's too set in his ways. --*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Today, 08:08 PM

Hi JT, its been a long time for me too. It has to be about 6 years sense I have logged on to this site. I was just looking through all of the post and I see that there are not as much as there used to be. lol I was taken back though when I started seeing all of the familiar names, and I noticed that I now have been undated to (Senior Member) lol. Anyways I have heard nothing but good reviews about the GT525 turbos, they are close to stock in response time but they say that they produce more power up top than the stockers do.
Have a great build.

R.I.P. 94 TT conversion.
2012 G37
2012 Juke
95 TT So fast, I can drive around the world and rearend myself.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page