Its been a longggg time! - Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Hey guys! I've not been on here for probably 6 years or more but for good reason! I finished the build on my car about 6 years ago and have had ZERO issues with the car since. In fact, the car is still doing great!

Anyways I've noticed the car doesnt have the "umphh" its always had. So i figured it was tune up time. So my issue is I've not had to work on the car in so long that I've forgot alot about these cars lol. I'll give you all my plans, and please feel free to fill in the gaps if i miss anything

*new plugs
*fuel filter
*pcv valves
*clean/replace air filters (clean MAFS)
*check/calibrate TPS
*check/adjust timing
*boost leak test (still hits target psi)

Also, i don't know if this helps but it seems the car doesnt breath on the "top end" as well as it use to?

I'd appreciate it guys. I use to know these like the back of my hand. Just a little rusty!

Last edited by 93sport500z; 07-09-2018 at 08:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 04:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Mr. 93sport500z Tell me....

a bit more about "the build" you did. Stock build or modified. Lets start there...

I have fought with reality and finally beat it
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxdoc View Post
a bit more about "the build" you did. Stock build or modified. Lets start there...
-Z1 gt600r turbos
-Nismo 740cc injectors
-Wiseco pistons eagle rods arp connecting hardware
-ams manifolds
-3" downpipes into full 3" z1 PG exhaust
-Selin intake setup
-ashspec 2.5" ic piping and massive ic's
-stock heads and cams and throttle bodies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 10:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Mr. 93sport500z Ok nice ...

build. Stock ECU? What PSI are you boosting? Using pump gas or race fuel? If pump gas I hope you are not putting any ethanol fuel in. When you were building the engine did you clear the excess flashing from the water jackets back on the #5 & 6 cylinders? If not I would start with a compression check on those cylinders. Don't forget to replace the balance tube O rings while you are at it. I have seen more than one Z cook these cylinders particularly when pressed hard. If the compression checks out examine the plugs closely. The center electrode insulator should be a light tan with little to no carbon deposits. Also check the gap. Start there and post what you find.
MaxDoc

I have fought with reality and finally beat it
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxdoc View Post
build. Stock ECU? What PSI are you boosting? Using pump gas or race fuel? If pump gas I hope you are not putting any ethanol fuel in. When you were building the engine did you clear the excess flashing from the water jackets back on the #5 & 6 cylinders? If not I would start with a compression check on those cylinders. Don't forget to replace the balance tube O rings while you are at it. I have seen more than one Z cook these cylinders particularly when pressed hard. If the compression checks out examine the plugs closely. The center electrode insulator should be a light tan with little to no carbon deposits. Also check the gap. Start there and post what you find.
MaxDoc
Not stock ecu. I'm wanting to say AshSpec eprom? Can't remember. Been years now. Pump gas on 93 tune. All the gas stations in my area are minimal ethanol blend. Car is running 18psi. And let me clarify. The car didn't lose big power. Most people would get in it and think the car was a monster. But i have just noticed between now and end of last summer it doesn't have as much pep and doesnt hit as hard. That's what's making me think it's just a tune up issue. Haven't pulled a plug yet cause it was hot when i parked it and the car is kept elsewhere. Not at my house. I'll get the plugs out and report back.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in