ZCar Forum banner

1993 300zx manual transmission problems. NEED HELP!

9K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  pilgrim 
#1 ·
I just bought a 1993 300zx two days ago. when i was driving it home i down shifted and it made a loud grinding sound and then died. when i started it back up i could go into 1st and 2nd but with 3rd and 4th it would go into but it would act like it was in neutral, and reverse is hard to get into but also acts like its in neutral. has anyone else had this problem?

#2 ·
Does it still make grinding noises?

Does it move (with the clutch pedal up) in 1st and 2nd?

Does it not move (with the clutch pedal released) in 3rd and 4th?

Does it not move in Reverse?

"Acts like Neutral" could mean a light comes on or something.

Might be a broken shift fork. Which gear were you "downshifting" in to?

#5 ·
Drain the fluid and look for parts. If you've been driving it that way the fluid might look like silver metal flake paint. The aluminum pieces get ground up by the gears. There won't be much on the magnet since it's not magnetic. Stick your little finger up in the hole and scrape around for stuff while the plug is out.

#6 ·
Sounds like your linkage is broken or came loose, or your mount plate under the shifter broke. Could be the shifter bushings possibly also.
I had a similar issue. My shifter mount bracket broke, but mine was the opposite. I could get it into 2nd and fourth, but not 1st 3rd or 5th.
Take your console apart inside, and have a look, its not to hard to tear it down and have a look.

#7 ·
I had a similar issue. My shifter mount bracket broke, but mine was the opposite. I could get it into 2nd and fourth, but not 1st 3rd or 5th.
Joined this site just to comment and ask about this. My shifter mount bracket broke. I replaced it, and ever since the shifting has been wonky. 2nd and 4th are hard to get into, and reverse is hard to find. I don't see how the shifter mount bracket would have anything to do with any of this. Is there some adjustment in there that I'm missing? What was your solution?

#10 ·
take a look at your clutch fluid. Mine was practically black from the deteriorated seals in there. The fluid should look kinda like new clean oil. or even if you used the blue kind of brake fluid, it should be pretty clear. If its dark/black at all, then I can gaurantee you your clutch master is not working right and giving enough pressure, and causing the car to not go into gear......

#11 ·
Hi All, I'm new to this site and have just bought a 1996 2+2 Manual 300ZX. As usual there are a few things that need replacing or maintained. One is a gearbox/clutch issue. At perfect revs I can change through the gears but when exceeding 4500rpm its nasty changing into 2nd and 5th. Any ideas why? I'm thinking of changing the clutch anyway as I can hear a thrust bearing noise when engage/disengaging. Any help with this would be appreciated

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.