mounting a front bumper - Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-29-2014, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
mounting a front bumper

I have a front bumper getting painted and I am about to mount it to my car. OEM JDM TT 90-96. Currently I have some mismatching spots. The fender to bumper gap is not even. I suspect that I just need to tweak with the metal mounting brackets till the gap is right. The nose panel, hood and bumper is also pushed in very so slightly. There are rub marks on the nose from the hood. Is there a way to "adjust" this.

ANyone have tips for fitting the front bumper. I have removed and installed one before, but it has been a while and the results were not great.

for reference
http://www.twinturbo.net/ttnetfaq/FA...iaremoval.html

90 2+2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-30-2014, 01:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Which way is the fender to bumper gap off? Open in back or front?
If you get the nose adjusted out and down, the "gap" may come back to normal.

zippityzda
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-30-2014, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Yes open and back. That makes sense. How does one "adjust" the nose?

90 2+2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-31-2014, 03:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
If it were me, I would start with looking at the "collision absorber" bumper mounts that compress with the old 5mph bumper contact concept, in the .pdf pic attached. Mine measure 3.10" from between the two bolts of the front black bracket to the flat sheet metal mounted to the front end of the drivers side frame. If yours measures different I will double check mine.

There are also some bolts (3) showing in a bracket in that pic under the middle removeable nose panel that may give you some wiggle room on the panel, along with bolts in the bracket that are right above it that you can see with the nose off.

Follow the silver rail to the outside corner area of the bumper and there are bolts out there: one rusty looking one tucked up in the viewing wedge behind the wires and the orange of the inside of the bumper. I think the other bolt right "above" it in the picture is involved, too. [There are two bolts related to the bumper in that area.]

Never mind the yellow jacket nest in the first pic.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf bumper_300zx.pdf (95.9 KB, 9 views)

zippityzda
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-31-2014, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks Stone!

Don't we all have yellow jacket nest in our Z's. Good for a couple of HP or maybe the source of a mystery whine.

90 2+2

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page