User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-26-2011, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Black tail pipes

So my dad and other observers tell me the white bumper should not be black over the tail pipes and it is running rich. No codes and I reset the ECU and it idles at 850 smoothly on start up. There is no smell of gas and the gas cap is tight. What sensor should be adjusted?? It has had some of the pollution devices (ERG and AIV?) removed. Still has carbon can and Cats if that helps with the suggestions.The cat sensors were changed out 20k ago. The car just smells like old car pollution when I park it. There is no gas smell.Thanks for the advice..

Super.white1990Na manual w/156K MODS:new Tokico struts,K/N,ureth.bushings for tension rods,susp/tech swaybars,e-bay custom exhaust,SS brakelines,Kenwood stereo/Bazooka sub, 1 pc DS,Kuhmos AST/w 6k miles and silicone PCV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-26-2011, 08:55 PM

Re: Black tail pipes

Have you hot tested the O2 sensors?

Red 90 NA TT conversion, Upgraded Eprom, divorced downpipes,Custom 2.5exhaust, pop, 5 puck clutch, 1 piece DS
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-26-2011, 10:25 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

I know you can test them thru the ECU. Have not done.. From what I read in the search it looks like the AIV delete causes rich running. The car use to cold start at 1300rpm and then drop in 1 min to 850rpm. They were put in 2 yrs ago. How is your car by the way Salvadoran300zx. Very sorry to hear about the wreck but glad it was not totalled and you are all right. Are the parts coming along? Post Merry Christmas to you!!!

Super.white1990Na manual w/156K MODS:new Tokico struts,K/N,ureth.bushings for tension rods,susp/tech swaybars,e-bay custom exhaust,SS brakelines,Kenwood stereo/Bazooka sub, 1 pc DS,Kuhmos AST/w 6k miles and silicone PCV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 12:40 AM

well my car will get fixed till january when the parts arrive from Japan... so I'll have to wait till then and then wait two more weeks to get her painted... again -.-'

but hey, btw, do you have anyway of testing the fuel pressure? your dampener or regulator might be on their way out and rising the fuel pressure, maximizing the injectors causing the rich condition of the engine.

what about the mpg's? have they dropped?

and MERRY XMAS TO YOU TOO! =D

Red 90 NA TT conversion, Upgraded Eprom, divorced downpipes,Custom 2.5exhaust, pop, 5 puck clutch, 1 piece DS
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 09:14 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

I will see if the neighbor can show me how to check pressure. I don't know if you change the dampner and fuel regulator at the same time but I changed the dampner from the OE about 2 yrs ago due to leaking raw fuel. It solved the problem of smell and hard starting which brought it to my attention. The mpg are steady at about 22 mix driving. 250 miles at 1/4 tank and refill about 12 gallons

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 12:10 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

22mpg mix is average for a higher mileage NA. Your bumper is white, the car is old, you are probably burning a tad bit of oil. Nothing to really worry about. AIV delete only causes rich IDLE and thats only because theres no air pumping into the cats to burn off unburnt idle fuel. Honestly though I wouldnt worry about it.

Is the black stuff chalky or greasy/wet? If its chalky like road dirt/grime I'd worry even less about it. If its greasy, you probably just have a slight bit of blow by (not causing smoking) but are burning a slight bit of oil. Like I said, its high mileage and its pretty normal on an older vehicle.

PULP CHICKEN
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-29-2011, 11:44 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Many thanks for the advice. It is just black dry soot that comes off with wax. I know it is losing oil somewhere from the last few oil change people but they don't know where? It is past 130k mark and the (VTC?) have not been changed since new timing belt at 90k. They didn't need it then. I hope to make it to 200k with 1 more Timing belt and 8 new tires. Trying to keep it for its 25th anniversery if no one tries to take me out. Have a Happy and SAFE New Year

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page