User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011, 07:43 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Top Window Roller

Well, the bolt on mine broke in half and i bought http://www.z1motorsports.com/product...oducts_id=4398 . after bout an hour of work and having taken the whole door panel off and everything i could get my hands on, i still couldnt figure out how in the **** to replace the roller... couldn't find much info online and was wondering if anyone knew what to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-15-2011, 07:24 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Re: Top Window Roller

This is the roller that has a flat black rivet on the outside of the glass, right? Easiest way to remove (assuming the rod behind the glass snapped) is to drill it out from the outside. Sounds bad to do because of the glass but you'll be fine, just take your time, metal isn't real hard. Tape up the glass to protect from slips and mask up around the area to protect from metal shards. Start with a small pilot hole then expand up to a larger bit until the rivet head snaps off.

After that (going from memory) -- removed the old roller and put down the window. Removed the track it fits into, installed the new rivet into the glass, slip the track over the roller end and fastened it back down. I know this job involved putting the window up and down a bit to get all the screws on the track into place -- sorry it's been a while.

The trim piece that covers the guide track is removed from screws that are reached via the cabin side of the door frame (and if I remember right, removing the door's weather stripping to get at some hidden underneath). Upper trim panel that covers the inside of the door (which needs to be removed first) has a hidden screw accessed via the window side of the door. Lower the window a bit, remove large plastic trim plug -- screw is underneath.

Yes, they designed that door and trim pieces in the most complicated way they could!!!!

FYI -- The way I tightened the rivet head to the window, look at the new part. You'll see 2 little dents in surface - must have been for a specialized wrench tool at the factory? I took a small piece of wood and drilled 2 holes spaced same as those dents. Put in small finishing nails so the nail tips just poked out of the wood. That became my special tool. If you scratch the rivet a bit -- touch up paint fixes that....

Also worth mentioning -- initially had a hard time getting the roller into the track, seemed too big (due to newness?). Used a heat gun to warm up the track a bit and I think I also hit the roller with some freezing spray? It worked - so that's another trick. Also a good idea to lube the track up a bit before the install....

+++ John's NJ Ride +++
'91 2+2 102k miles, Chromed OEM Wheels, Chrome Plenum, JSPEC Clear Corners, Toyo Proxes 4's, U/D Pulley, Custom Mod'd Control Pods - White LED Lighting with Blue LED Indicators
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-15-2011, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

cool, thx man
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-17-2011, 05:01 PM

It looks like the write-up that I used has since been killed... it's referenced in the first post on this thread.
https://www.zcar.com/90-96_tech_discu...tml#msg2511048

Sorry Tim, I never noticed your question. Yes, I did it on my car. Twice actually, it's pretty simple.

90 N/A 2+0 5spd +CenterForce Stage II clutch +Eibach Pro-Kit Springs +KYB-AGX Shocks +Stillen Intake +Labree/Custom Catback +[s]Blose[/s]->Infinity Stereo =My Z (Nikki)
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 04:01 PM

Red face Top Window Roller

I also had the same condition when I wanted to get fixed my door panel and everything. I am very thankful to Brett R who helped me to make my dream come true. Gryphongaragedoors.com
Attached Images
File Type: png Gryphon_Garage_Doors_001.png (8.8 KB, 1 views)
File Type: png Gryphon-Garage-Doors-Sectional-garage-doors-residential-659x315.png (363.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: png Gryphon-Ribline-1024x419.png (497.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: png insulated-garage-doors-88x60.png (9.9 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Titan-White-Composite-panel-80x60.jpg (1.4 KB, 10 views)
File Type: png square-banner.png (23.8 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by gryphongarageau; 05-09-2019 at 04:21 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page