LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-23-2001, 08:45 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
1993 300ZX N/A

Hello.
I am very interested in getting a 300ZX, they look great and the more I read up on them, the more I like them. However, I am only 15 at present, and I've got a while before I can get one. I'm sure I can get the 10k or so to get one, but what should I look for? When do they become problematic, if at all. Is it too much of a car? I dont want a turbo because the insurance is to high, but are the n/a's just the same. What are the good/bad points of the vehicle? Thanks a lot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-23-2001, 09:37 PM

Re: 1993 300ZX N/A

Don't know what anyone else thinks but where are you getting this 10k? I want to be doing the work you are if you are 15 and have 10g's. I was 21 before I bought my 300z for 10k and I had to take a 3k loan.
Anyway enough complaining. I just happend to buy a 93 N/A for 10k. It had 82,000 miles and was and still is in perfect condition. Insurance is virtually the same for turbo and non-turbo. For a 16 yr old driver expect to be paying around 1000-1200 every 6 months for full-coverage (Wouldn't get anything less for a Z).
I wouldn't recommend a Turbo: a twin-turbo Z for 10k will have high miles and probably need serious work on the car. Lots O $$$$.
The engine on these cars will virtually last forever if taken care of. Wish that could be said about tranny and drivetrain. I get the idea both of these will need to be replaced around 120-140K. Any needed repairs is going to hurt the pocket book, cost of parts is very high and unless your a mechanic expect to pay for tons of labor.
For a new driver I wouldn't recommend this car. Being a powerful rear-wheel drive sports car I would almost gaurantee that you wreck it. Not saying you would be a bad driver just bad decisions sometimes. I know, I was 16 once. I guess if you really want one you'll get one, so just be patient for a good deal.

Look for a 93N/A With 80-85K for around 10g's
HAVE A TRUSTED MECHANIC LOOK IT OVER

93 300ZX N/A -- R.I.P.
93 MR2 N/A -- Stock and Slow - SOLD
05 Subaru WRX STi
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-23-2001, 11:10 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Thanks a bunch thats more info than ive found in a long time. As far as the $$$ goes, I have my CCNA (Cisco Certification thingy) and it pays quite well, taking into account i have like no expenses... Thanks for the advice about wrecking it, cause I was thinking about that too. Would you really gaurantee that i'd wreck it though? It is that easy to get carried away and be an idiot with one?
Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-24-2001, 12:21 AM

well as a 16 year old, my first car was the only 2 and a half liter straight 4 banger Porsche ever had.. the 944. this car was a blast but i drove it ended up in a ditch after hitting some loose gravel on a sharp curve. now im 17, and have had my Z for about 9 months, and havent had any accidents, and have never been pulled over.. and i still drive like a bat outta **** when it feels right. if you dont get over-confident with your cars capabilities, i dont think you'll wreck it. plus na's arent exactly ground pounders and i think if any sports car should be your first, it should be a Z. (if u dont mind the ridiculously high maintnence costs, and the end-less number of things that can go wrong with these cars) but it sounds like youve got the $ situation dialed in. ****,, go ahead and get a TT if you think you have enough self control to drive one safely.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-24-2001, 01:43 AM
ace

Go for it, get an NA Z. I got my Z when I was 17 and I just turned 18 now, and am loving the Z. However, with your money, a TT should be no prob if u choose that. just remember, the Z is addicting, and you'll spend a lot more money on it for money and maintenance. i've spent $1k in mods in 1 month. I plan on spending another $1k in the next two months. TT's are super easy to mod, and u can get enormous power. however, they're much more expensive ot keep up with. however, if i could do it again, I'de get a TT, just for the power ( i still love my NA though). KEEP ONE THING IN MIND THOUGH: be careful, don't get tickets (note, i didn't say don't speed, cuz thats illogical), don't get in wrecks. People with Z's can't help but speed, just try not to get caught. DON'T do stupid things and get in a wreck. Learn the limits of your car, cuz thats where most people screw up. Anyway, try to stick to those and you should have a helluva a badass car, and be able to keep it for a while.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-24-2001, 02:08 AM

keep in mind, the near 100hp you gain from $1500 worth of mods for a TT, makes nowhere near the difference in times when comparing the difference of an NA to a TT. have no idea why i said this....just a thought
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-24-2001, 04:07 AM

statistically speaking, any car you get you being a male will be wrecked within the first yr, but it all depends on how mature you are and how conident you are driving, i was told when i turned 16 by a state trooper i know that he guarantees i will wreck in my first yr and now i am 17 and no wrecks and no tickets, just know when to go fast, if you want to really go fast go to a drag strip or something like that, just be safe and use common sense, and when u feel like taking a chance think about it like this, what if i do something wrong and end up wreckin this beautiful car and/or killing yourself, then ask yourself is it worth the risk?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-24-2001, 05:04 PM
ace

NOT EVERYONE WILL GET IN A WRECK. I'm 18, was guaranteed at 16 that I will be in a wreck in one year, but so far so good. Also, no tickets, or pullovers. Doesn't mean I speed, its just being careful when u speed and where.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page