what struts for lowering springs - Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 02:00 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
what struts for lowering springs

So in the past tokico used to be a viable option but now that I'm finally looking to fix up my Z parts are no where to be found. A while back I was considering going with coilovers but given I don't trust anyone around here to cut and weld everything up I was just going to go with the Eibach springs from MSA. However there doesn't appear to be a strut option other than stock replacement from KYB. I've tried to search for other options but coming up with nothing. Does anyone know of a strut that will work with the Eibach lowering spring? Also if I go with the Eibach do I have to worry about a camber kit for the rear? I've seen this brought up but more in relation to other spring kits.

Current: 77 280z, 84 300zx, 17 Z06 ---The ex's: 06 WRX - RIP, 09 370z sport - RIP, 10 370z NISMO - sold, 12 Vette GS - sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 08:03 AM

Location: Workin in the United Arab Emirates; Livin in North Carolina; Born and raised in Southern Utah
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 280z/300zx View Post
So in the past tokico used to be a viable option but now that I'm finally looking to fix up my Z parts are no where to be found. A while back I was considering going with coilovers but given I don't trust anyone around here to cut and weld everything up I was just going to go with the Eibach springs from MSA. However there doesn't appear to be a strut option other than stock replacement from KYB. I've tried to search for other options but coming up with nothing. Does anyone know of a strut that will work with the Eibach lowering spring? Also if I go with the Eibach do I have to worry about a camber kit for the rear? I've seen this brought up but more in relation to other spring kits.
you're more probable to have camber issues on the 300zx (Z31) if you lower it, however i beleive there is a camber correction kit for it. i'm not sure about the 280z.
i have eibach pros on my 300zx and i like them a lot. not too stiff. they are very comparible if not exact to the springs that came on the '88 Shiro. i just went with KYBs since nothing else was really available. Eibachs are supposedly NOT supposed to be used with aftermarket struts, however I have found no issue on mine.
Eibach pros don't lower your car very much, if very little. -mine doesn't look lowered at all. but i think MOOGs or KONIs go a lot lower.

apparently, MSA now has new KONI struts available, or so I read. words from the wise: either you are planning on track racing or have a super awesome immaculate killer show car... IF NOT, don't waste your cash on coilovers. just get some quality struts and springs and replace all those worn out bushings and then enjoy the ride. aint no sense in paying over 3 grand so you can wooo some stupid strangers and dumb friends with the 'wow check out my coilovers factor'.

Bon

All the Gods, all the Heavens, all the Hells, are within you. - Joseph Campbell -

Pooja II ~ 1984 300ZXT 50th AE ~ 2018 - 2019
Pooja ~ 1987 300ZX 2+2 NA2T ~ 2012 - 2018
Suzanna ~ 1983 280ZX Coupe ~ 2010 - 2019
Alana ~ 1976 280z Coupe NA2T ~ 2008 - 2019
Dianna ~ 1980 280ZX Slick Top ~ 2001 - 2007

Last edited by bonfire79; 10-23-2019 at 08:07 AM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 11:44 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
You didn't specify which z you were inquiring about so I'll assume that it's the 280 z. No need to go with coil overs, for performance suspension put in some lowering springs. I sell linear rate and of course MSA sells Eibachs (progressive rate). Either spring will work fine as long as you're not wanting to slam the car. The easiest way to describe the difference is linear will be stiff all the time and progressive will get stiffer the harder you push it thereby giving you a softer ride when you're not driving aggressively. They both lower the car 1" to 1.5" from original ride height. Anymore than that and you create problems driving it on the street. You need to install a pair of ball joint spacers to correct the front control arm geometry. For the 70-73 cars you need to install adjustable strut tops on at least the back end. For the 74-78 cars you can install a set of adjustable inner control arm bushings on the back end only. That will cure your negative camber that you're going to get when you lower your car. For shocks you CAN actually use KYB shocks on lowered cars without any problems so long as you're not slamming the car. If you have high horsepower then you should use the adjustable Koni shocks. Hopefully they're made better than the old school Koni shocks. Time will tell it all. By the way I've been using KYB shocks on lowered z's since 1990 without any problems whatsoever so long as the car isn't slammed.
Don't forget to add a set of bigger sway bars, and you're good to go. One last thing, NEVER use polyurethane T/C bushings on any z from 70-83 if you drive it on the street. It can and will crack the frame, and bend or break the T/C rods.
I do sell all of the parts mentioned above and can put kits together for you if you don't want to shop for everything yourself. I offer at least a 5% discount to all zcar.com users and sometimes it's as high as 30%. Just mention that you use this site when you get a quote.
Z man of Washington
360-668-2979
www.datsunstore.com
www.zspecialties.com

1978 black pearl show car-retired, I bought it new. 1983 zx turbo daily driver, modified, 3rd owner. 1970 240 #638 driver. 1973 240 roadster being built. 50+ other z's & zx's. 57 Chev Sedan Delivery. 79 620 King Cab. Store front
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
landline 360-668-2979 cell 206-363-3577
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-24-2019, 01:05 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks guys. This is for my 84 300zx non turbo.

Won't be tracking the car and wont be a car show queen. Just want to lower down some to give it a lower stance.

So seems using the eibach with standard kub should be fine? And I have seen a rear camber kit for the z31, just didnt k ow if it was needed with this set up

Current: 77 280z, 84 300zx, 17 Z06 ---The ex's: 06 WRX - RIP, 09 370z sport - RIP, 10 370z NISMO - sold, 12 Vette GS - sold
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-24-2019, 01:09 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I mean KYB, not kub

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-25-2019, 09:39 AM

Location: Workin in the United Arab Emirates; Livin in North Carolina; Born and raised in Southern Utah
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Quote:
Thanks guys. This is for my 84 300zx non turbo.

Won't be tracking the car and wont be a car show queen. Just want to lower down some to give it a lower stance.

So seems using the eibach with standard kub should be fine? And I have seen a rear camber kit for the z31, just didnt k ow if it was needed with this set up
I don't mind KYB's but when I had them on my 87NA it seemed like they jacked my car higher. then again, i used them with the stock springs.
my 84AE has them too but when i first got the car it was lowered way to low... i mean slammed. it looked awesome but it rode like crap and hit almost everything. i think the PO took the stock springs and cut/welded them and threw them back on and added KYB's in the back while keeping the stock Nissan struts up front. it was really awfull. so in order to correct this and still keep a semi low stance, I replaced the crap springs with EIBACH PROs which as Zman has mentioned, lower about 1" or more and I put KYBs up front to replace the worn out Mcphearson struts. it doesn't sit as low as it was and it clears everything with ease, but its not as high has stock stance. but if you want it to be lower than that, you might want to invest in other aftermarket springs.

i always tell guys this and i'll recommend it to you: if you are going in there and replacing struts and springs, replace everything else while you're under there. rubber pieces are most likely shot, so its worth doing now instead of later. get a bushing kit. new tie rods. ball joints. steering rack boots. strut dust covers, boots, and rubber bump stops. your car will ride and feel so much better after doing this. it is also a good idea to get under and inspect the condition of the transmission mount bushings and the rear diff mount.

i don't think you will need the camber adjustment kit unless you have excessive rear camber. my car was very excessive, but after changing out the springs it was back to normal. and i got the numbers for it.

Bon

All the Gods, all the Heavens, all the Hells, are within you. - Joseph Campbell -

Pooja II ~ 1984 300ZXT 50th AE ~ 2018 - 2019
Pooja ~ 1987 300ZX 2+2 NA2T ~ 2012 - 2018
Suzanna ~ 1983 280ZX Coupe ~ 2010 - 2019
Alana ~ 1976 280z Coupe NA2T ~ 2008 - 2019
Dianna ~ 1980 280ZX Slick Top ~ 2001 - 2007

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page