Driver side window motor dead? - Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 07:40 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Driver side window motor dead?

Hey folks, ive finally had some time to work on my Z again and I keep finding more and more wrong things wrong of course. But something I haven’t been able to figure out since I’ve had the car is why the driver side window refuses to budge. I’ve taken apart the door to inspect the wiring, I’ve checked the switch and switch contacts inside the housing, and I’ve checked around for corrosion. All these seem to check out, I tried to check the fuses if there would be any, but I couldn’t find any fuses that had anything to do with the window motors. And the only thing I haven’t checked is the motor itself, and the reason I haven’t is because I feel like it would at least do something. I can’t hear anything at all when I press the switch to let it down, not even a relay click or anything. I feel as if I’m missing something simple. Any help would be greatly appreciated, I’m learning new things every day about these cars! Thanks, -Carson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 03:02 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrocjt View Post
Hey folks, ive finally had some time to work on my Z again and I keep finding more and more wrong things wrong of course. But something I havenít been able to figure out since Iíve had the car is why the driver side window refuses to budge. Iíve taken apart the door to inspect the wiring, Iíve checked the switch and switch contacts inside the housing, and Iíve checked around for corrosion. All these seem to check out, I tried to check the fuses if there would be any, but I couldnít find any fuses that had anything to do with the window motors. And the only thing I havenít checked is the motor itself, and the reason I havenít is because I feel like it would at least do something. I canít hear anything at all when I press the switch to let it down, not even a relay click or anything. I feel as if Iím missing something simple. Any help would be greatly appreciated, Iím learning new things every day about these cars! Thanks, -Carson

It would help if you'd put the year of your z in your post so we don't have to assume the year. I'm going to assume that you have a 280 zx. With the door panel off you should be able to see the wires to the motor near the bottom and towards the front of the door. Unplug the 2 wires that use bullet connectors. Hook one to power and the other to ground momentarily and that should get the window to move a little. Reverse polarity and it should go the opposite direction. If you're sure you're on the right wires and you don't get any movement then your motor is probably fried. I"ve got quite a few used ones in stock that are good and if you want one you'll have to contact me via phone or e-mail. It wouldn't hurt to run an ohm check on your switch, or you can hook power to one side of a switch, and put a test light on the opposite wire and engage the switch. It should light the test light. If you don't have a test light then you should go buy one. They're not expensive if you get one at Harbor Freight. Good luck. Z man of Washington
360-668-2979
www.datsunstore.com

1978 black pearl show car-retired, I bought it new. 1983 zx turbo daily driver, modified, 3rd owner. 1970 240 #638 driver. 1973 240 roadster being built. 50+ other z's & zx's. 57 Chev Sedan Delivery. 79 620 King Cab. Store front
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
landline 360-668-2979 cell 206-363-3577
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmanofwashington View Post
Quote:
Hey folks, ive finally had some time to work on my Z again and I keep finding more and more wrong things wrong of course. But something I haven’t been able to figure out since I’ve had the car is why the driver side window refuses to budge. I’ve taken apart the door to inspect the wiring, I’ve checked the switch and switch contacts inside the housing, and I’ve checked around for corrosion. All these seem to check out, I tried to check the fuses if there would be any, but I couldn’t find any fuses that had anything to do with the window motors. And the only thing I haven’t checked is the motor itself, and the reason I haven’t is because I feel like it would at least do something. I can’t hear anything at all when I press the switch to let it down, not even a relay click or anything. I feel as if I’m missing something simple. Any help would be greatly appreciated, I’m learning new things every day about these cars! Thanks, -Carson

It would help if you'd put the year of your z in your post so we don't have to assume the year. I'm going to assume that you have a 280 zx. With the door panel off you should be able to see the wires to the motor near the bottom and towards the front of the door. Unplug the 2 wires that use bullet connectors. Hook one to power and the other to ground momentarily and that should get the window to move a little. Reverse polarity and it should go the opposite direction. If you're sure you're on the right wires and you don't get any movement then your motor is probably fried. I"ve got quite a few used ones in stock that are good and if you want one you'll have to contact me via phone or e-mail. It wouldn't hurt to run an ohm check on your switch, or you can hook power to one side of a switch, and put a test light on the opposite wire and engage the switch. It should light the test light. If you don't have a test light then you should go buy one. They're not expensive if you get one at Harbor Freight. Good luck. Z man of Washington
360-668-2979
www.datsunstore.com
Oh dude I’m really sorry, id put the year in my previous posts, and I guess I forgot to put it in this one. It’s a 1987 300zx. But thank you for the help, I assume it’s a similar process for the 300zx too. Thanks you for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 10:32 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
Oh dude Iím really sorry, id put the year in my previous posts, and I guess I forgot to put it in this one. Itís a 1987 300zx. But thank you for the help, I assume itís a similar process for the 300zx too. Thanks you for the help!

The test procedure is still the same however there is one more thing to keep in mind. The window motors in the Z31's aren't as reliable as in the 280 zx. The drive gear for the motor is glued in and the bond fails rendering the motor useless. I've never been able to successfully reglue the bond but there are better glues on the market these days that I haven't used in this application. I do have used motors for the Z31's as well. Be sure to check the switches for your window, they do go bad from time to time. I can probably come up with a couple of them as well. ZMOW

1978 black pearl show car-retired, I bought it new. 1983 zx turbo daily driver, modified, 3rd owner. 1970 240 #638 driver. 1973 240 roadster being built. 50+ other z's & zx's. 57 Chev Sedan Delivery. 79 620 King Cab. Store front

landline 360-668-2979 cell 206-363-3577

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page