missing/hesitating - Page 2 - Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 07:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Your 86 turbo should have a vacuum pump down under the front on the right side. On mine when you turn the key on it will run a few seconds. If there is no leaks it will stop. I find this is a good easy way know if you have a
leak free system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 12:20 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Turn the air conditioner on/off while you're doing the self-diagnosis. That should clear 31. Shift from neutral to other gears and back to neutral. That should clear 24.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 12:26 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
The vacuum line that runs from the engine bay into the cabin is to supply vacuum to all the actuators in the dash. These are what open the various doors for different vents, air mix, cabin/outside air.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 11:41 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by herje58 View Post
I also definitely have a vacuum leak that goes from the cannister through the firewall, and then somewhere up under the dash. I think it is for the AC. That would explain why the AC does not work. The AC was overhauled about 5 years ago, but the compressor does not kick in when i try to use AC. Also, I can hear a hissing type sound that seems to be coming from the fuel pressure regulator, or at least near it. Is that normal?
You should find where the leaking AC vacuum attaches to the intake and cap the intake connection to stop the leak.

The fuel pressure regulator (FPR) should not be making any noise. Detach the vacuum line from the top of the FPR see if you can find the hissing noise source.

The vacuum line attached to the top of the Fuel Pressure Regulator runs over to the Fuel Pressure Solenoid (FPS), drivers side of engine compartment, and then another vacuum line runs from the FPS back to the intake manifold. If there is a leak in any of this, the fuel pressure will be to high and cause the engine to run rich at idle. All of this can be bypassed with a short 6" piece of vacuum line from the FPR to a port on the front of the intake plenum as a test.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 05:04 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
I will check everything you mentioned and find the leak. After changing the fuel filter, distributor cap and rotor, the car worked somewhat better. I changed the plugs yesterday and it solved the missing. The car now works great. Now I need to find the vacuum leak

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page