User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 01:46 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Which coilovers

Hey everyone. I'm looking at ways to upgrade and lower my 84 non turbo. Currently have front and rear sways. Stock type struts, not the original but differently 20+ years old. Stock original springs. Car doesnt sag. But want to lower it down some while also making it corner better. From what I can find there are no good aftermarket spring/strut combos. Most people go with coilovers. Seems Stance and Ceika seem to be popular. Just trying to see what coilovers are best. Looking for direct bolt on, no modification. Not trying to get complicated and not going to be racing the car. It's a cruiser and datsun/Nissan meet up car. I leave my Z06 for the speed stuff. Not looking to slam the car either. Just want to drop it down about 1-2 inches, add some 16s or 17s wheels, and keep the wheels/tires at stock camber. Will not be giving it that "stance" look that some do. Any advice would be great as I'm pretty new to coilovers and how they work

Current: 77 280z, 84 300zx, 12 Vette Grand Sport ---The ex's: 06 WRX - RIP, 09 370z sport - RIP, 10 370z NISMO - sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 09:34 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There are no bolt on coilovers for the Z31. You absolutely have to weld the sleeves to the spindles.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 10:32 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Garage
You are on the right track. The 84 NA stock springs are too soft for anything but comfort (F/R 136/140).

The late model (87-89) turbo has spring rates of (190/188). These are a good guide for spring rates that will improve the car and still be comfortable on the street. These springs can be acquired from salvage yards. The Shiro special spring rates are a little higher (207/224), but I have never found a set. These factory springs will maintain factory ride height. They can be cut to lower the car.

Eibach makes (or at least made) a spring kit for the Z31. These are lowering springs (1" to 1.5") with a progressive rate. I don't know the rate, but they are stiffer than the stock springs. The progressive rate should make them feel reasonable on the road. Progressive rate springs are not recommended for serious performance applications. This kit is available from the Z store, $235.

Coilovers are available from a few different companies. They can be purchased as full or slip-on style for the front's. Either way, some cutting and welding is involved. Rear coilovers generally replace the rear shock and the stock spring is removed. The standard springs that ship with coilovers are significantly stiffer (and less comfortable) than any stock springs.

Given a stiffer spring a slightly lower ride height, the Z31 will still not corner well. It at minimum needs a little more camber. The factory camber on these is centered near 0. Changing this will help the car turn and move it towards a more balanced feel. It will also increase the odds of the rear end kicking out. (there is no free lunch)

1984 300zx non-turbo

Last edited by thansen; 07-16-2019 at 10:35 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 02:27 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Well that's disappointing about the coilovers. Not really a fan of having to weld anything up.

I was aware if the different spring options which is why I was looking at coilovers. Strictly speaking there appears to be no good option. Well, back to square one. Wonder if there are any companies that make custom springs

Current: 77 280z, 84 300zx, 12 Vette Grand Sport ---The ex's: 06 WRX - RIP, 09 370z sport - RIP, 10 370z NISMO - sold

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page