Can you replace a signal gear in an 87 300ZX transmission - Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 11:45 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Can you replace a signal gear in an 87 300ZX transmission

Hi there, this may be a dumb question but I need to know if it’s possible to replace just a single gear within the manual transmission. The reverse gear in my trans is slipping badly, but all the rest of the gears work beautifully. I’d rather not have to replace the whole trans if possible. I’m a real newbie when it comes to transmission work, and as I said this may be a super obvious question! Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! -Carson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Today, 06:42 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Garage
Yes you can. It is common to open a transmission and order parts once you identify what needs replaced. It might be worth borrowing some experience when it comes to "identifying" what is bad.

A bearing/synchro rebuild kit is around $100 dollars. This is the normal manual rebuild kit (gaskets, seals, ...); it does not include any gears.
A reverse gear kit is also around $100 dollars

I can get a used transmission from my local "Pull and Save" for $76 + a $20 core charge, but it is getting more difficult to find Z31's at these salvage yards. This transmission (FS5W71C) is used in other vehicles.

1984 300zx non-turbo
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Today, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thansen View Post
Yes you can. It is common to open a transmission and order parts once you identify what needs replaced. It might be worth borrowing some experience when it comes to "identifying" what is bad.

A bearing/synchro rebuild kit is around $100 dollars. This is the normal manual rebuild kit (gaskets, seals, ...); it does not include any gears.
A reverse gear kit is also around $100 dollars

I can get a used transmission from my local "Pull and Save" for $76 + a $20 core charge, but it is getting more difficult to find Z31's at these salvage yards. This transmission (FS5W71C) is used in other vehicles.

Thank you! Like I said this is sort of new stuff to me, and as far as I know I haven’t heard of anyone replacing just a single gear, so this helps a lot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Today, 08:42 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrocjt View Post
Thank you! Like I said this is sort of new stuff to me, and as far as I know I haven’t heard of anyone replacing just a single gear, so this helps a lot.

A important note: when I am talking about a single gear, I intend to mean 1st gear, 2nd gear or perhaps in your case reverse. However, each gear in the transmission is more than a single physical gear. The reverse gear kit mentioned above is two gears and the 5th/reverse slider.

1984 300zx non-turbo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page