What type of oil do I put in my trans? - Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
What type of oil do I put in my trans?

Okay, now this might be a dumb question, but my 1987 300zx is having some strange noise issues (can be seen in my last post) and I’ve had several people tell me several different things. One guy told me that changing/filling up the oil in the transmission would fix the issue. I’m fairly sure the oil needs to be changed regardless of if it fixes the issue. But, I’ve got no clue in the world what type of oil to put in the thing. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! -Carson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 03:11 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 706 Post(s)
Redline MT90 is a very good fluid for the Nissan transmissions. Better than a stock 80W-90 oil.

Before you do anything, crawl under and remove the fill plug. Stick your finger in the hole and see how much fluid is in there.

Don't know if it will fix your noises I didn't see your other post.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thank you! Yeah, I had no idea what on earth to put in that thing. I appreciate it.
-Carson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 11:35 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
automatic or manual?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 11:38 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Garage
First, quit running this car until you have checked all the fluids, engine oil, coolant, transmission oil, differential oil. If you know the previous owner took care of these things you probably don't have to worry but check them.

Information about lubricants is in the FSM section GI. The Nissan transmissions use GL-4 oil and GL-5 goes in the differential. Red Line MT-90 is a very good GL-4 manual transmission oil. It is great for shifting and can withstand abuse.

From your previous post, your transmission is making some ugly noises when in neutral with the clutch released. Make sure there is some decent oil in your transmission.

1984 300zx non-turbo
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 02:39 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Okay, so I’ve checked the oil in my trans (Which is Manual) and there is a healthy amount in there, it is starting to have little signs of brownish gray in there from what I saw but for the most part it looks good.
I have no idea at this point what could be causing the noises, and without I car lift there’s no way I could pull the transmission to check the throw out bearing if that could be the problem.

I think over the summer I’m going to do a full car tear down and just see what’s wrong with the car and what’s not, and go from there with replacing and fixing. But it would definitely still be beneficial to know what that crazy noise is! I guess time and learning will tell. Thanks! -Carson
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 09:46 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrocjt View Post
Okay, so Iíve checked the oil in my trans (Which is Manual) and there is a healthy amount in there, it is starting to have little signs of brownish gray in there from what I saw but for the most part it looks good.
I have no idea at this point what could be causing the noises, and without I car lift thereís no way I could pull the transmission to check the throw out bearing if that could be the problem.

Gray is not a color I like to see in gear oil. Traditional gear oils are near black, while the synthetics can be much lighter. MT-90 is a light red or pink if my memory serves me correctly. Gray is usually ground up metal from something that was a ... I would either get a professional to listen to your noise, or drain your oil. Pay attention to the drain plug. It is magnetic on the transmission and you can see how much metal has accumulated.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 10:41 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrocjt View Post
without I car lift thereís no way I could pull the transmission to check the throw out bearing if that could be the problem.
It is quite common to pull/replace a transmission with jack stands and a floor jack. I will not say it is pleasant, but it is the normal at home method. (I recommend 2 people)
I have done the job once with a lift and transmission jack, and the job was relatively pleasant. No swearing at all.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 11:06 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thansen View Post
It is quite common to pull/replace a transmission with jack stands and a floor jack. I will not say it is pleasant, but it is the normal at home method. (I recommend 2 people)
I have done the job once with a lift and transmission jack, and the job was relatively pleasant. No swearing at all.
Thatís very interesting to know, Iíve got some larger jack stands, but the only issue is I havenít been able to jack the car up high enough to even get the bigger ones under there. Iíll have to look into trying that. Good to know no swearing was involved
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 03:13 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 706 Post(s)
This actually sounds more like bearings in the transmission, or a broken gear. Pretty common for reverse to get chipped when the MC or slave go bad. Angry shifters...

You should remove the fluid and check the magnet. There are probably metal chunks on it.

The washing machine sounding noise with the clutch pedal up (people get "release" confused, best to talk about where the pedal is), is common to these transmissions, it's the countershaft bearing. It's just the way they are, they're noisy.

The other noises, especially the popping and jerking in reverse are signs that a gear is broken or a bearing is gone. Especially the jerking part. That should never happen.

"To put it simply, during normal use of the vehicle, in reverse, the car makes a very violent popping and clanking noise occasionally. When the popping occurs the car jerks a lot, but it only really happens in reverse. I thought it might be a gear slip in the transmission, but I’m not exactly sure. I thought after freeing up the brake calipers and fixing the clutch, that it might stop, but no dice on that. It doesn’t do it once any other gears, however in neutral when your let off the clutch, I can hear what sound I can only compare to that of a washing machine, it’s a heavy loose sounding spinning noise and can only be heard while the clutch is released. Some help, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! -Carson"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page