1987 300zx Parking Brake possibly stuck on?? - Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
1987 300zx Parking Brake possibly stuck on??

Howdy,
I have an 87 300zx that I just bought as a first project car a couple weeks ago for $900. It has its issues and I’ve been working through them, I’ve already replaced both clutch cylinders because they were shot and now the car will move. However, there is a problem, the car is extremely finicky to get moving, it almost always stalls out on trying to move. The “BRAKE” light is also always on, and there is no resistance whatsoever in the parking brake handle at any point, which leads me to believe the brake is always engaged. Also, it is nearly impossible to move in neutral, it has to be pulled by another vehicle. I may be totally wrong but that leads me to believe the parking brake is staying engaged, but I don’t really know what to do about that. What do I do?
Thanks, -Carson.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 11:28 PM

Location: Workin in the United Arab Emirates; Livin in North Carolina; Born and raised in Southern Utah
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
maybe your brake pads are sticking to the rotors, or you've got some other problem with the hand brake system. have you checked the brake master cylinder and booster? you could try to jack up the car and try to spin each wheel by hand while in neutral. the handbrake can be adjusted from underneath the car. go here for everything Z31: www.xenonzcar.com
check out the Factory Service Manual as it will show you exactly how to troubleshoot the hand brake system. its free on the website. good luck on your project and welcome to the club.

btw, get your cash and a parts list ready.... Z31's are known to break. quite frequently

Bon

All the Gods, all the Heavens, all the Hells, are within you. - Joseph Campbell -

Pooja II ~ 1984 300ZXT 50th AE ~ 2018 - 2019
Pooja ~ 1987 300ZX 2+2 NA2T ~ 2012 - 2018
Suzanna ~ 1983 280ZX Coupe ~ 2010 - 2019
Alana ~ 1976 280z Coupe NA2T ~ 2008 - 2019
Dianna ~ 1980 280ZX Slick Top ~ 2001 - 2007
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 12:05 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thank you Bon! I’ll definitely try that out, And report back when I get the time to. I appreciate the help, and am glad to be a member of the community.
Thanks. -Carson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 05:24 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Yeah, I’ve had the time to test the wheels. And as far as I can tell the wheels are definitely stuck and not spinning freely. I’ve lifted the car and tried spinning them while off, spinning them while running and spinning them with and without the parking brake on to no avail. I don’t exactly know what to do from here, I’m not 100% sure just adjusting the PB would do anything, because it looks to me that the brake cable is attached to the handle on the inside of the car, however when the brake is released, it just isn’t releasing the cables and the braking mechanism off of the wheels. I don’t know what the best course of action would be now.
Thanks
- Carson
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 08:09 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrocjt View Post
Yeah, Iíve had the time to test the wheels. And as far as I can tell the wheels are definitely stuck and not spinning freely. Iíve lifted the car and tried spinning them while off, spinning them while running and spinning them with and without the parking brake on to no avail. I donít exactly know what to do from here, Iím not 100% sure just adjusting the PB would do anything, because it looks to me that the brake cable is attached to the handle on the inside of the car, however when the brake is released, it just isnít releasing the cables and the braking mechanism off of the wheels. I donít know what the best course of action would be now.
Thanks
- Carson
Is this wheel rotation problem all 4 wheels or only the rear wheels? Moving forward I will assume it is only the rear wheels. If you have not downloaded the Factory Service Manual (FSM) yet, get it. http://www.xenonz31.com/

Remove your rear wheels and take a look at things. What is keeping the wheels from rotating? Is the caliper clamping the brake pads tightly to the rotor? If you are unsure remove a caliper or just rotate it off the pads and see what difference that makes. (The BR section of the FSM covers the brakes. I recommend reading the significant parts)

This should at least let you figure out if it is the brakes.

1984 300zx non-turbo
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
As far as I know the wheel rotation problem is only the rear wheels, I haven’t checked the front wheels. Like I said in my original post, the car does drive, it just won’t roll in neutral of course. I Will definitely have to check out the caliper situation. Thank you very much for the help.
-Carson
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 07:03 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Either the rear calipers are seized or the parking brake is stuck

Scott

88Hybrid.com, a Z31 enthusiast's forum

Restore it. Don't crush it. They don't make um like this anymore!

Black 1993 300ZX, NA, driven 6 months a year, well pampered
and
Dark Pewter 1985 300ZX Turbo just fully restored

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Okay, so I’ve pulled off the rear wheels and have great news. It was the calipers, they were tightly gripped to the discs. However, with the help of a rubber mallet and some time, I got them unseized and they work great now! The car rolls like a champ and is much easier to start off driving. Thanks to everyone and all the help they’ve given, I greatly appreciate it. -Carson
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 06:17 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage
If the rear calipers were stuck, you probably should add replace/rebuild calipers to your cars todo list before you plan to push those brakes.

1984 300zx non-turbo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page