Bad cold idle and throttle hesitation - 84 Z31 N/A GLL - Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 09:27 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Bad cold idle and throttle hesitation - 84 Z31 N/A GLL

It sat about a year before I got it. Wasn't much gas in the tank, and had a new fuel filter. I filled it up with 93 and a can of Seafoam. Still idled like crap until it was warm, has a bit of acceleration lag when I punch it for sure.
Earlier it was idling really bad jumping from 400-600rpm
And when I hit he pedal it took a good second for it kick in acting like it didn't want to at all.
Any thoughts would be appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 07:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Garage
I am just going to list out suggestions. With the age of the car there is probably more than one problem. I would look at this as an "opportunity" to check most of the major systems. Before you get started you will want the Factory Service Manual (FSM). http://www.xenonzcar.com/z31/z31fsm.php

The EFEC chapter of the FSM has diagnostic sections. I would work through them after checking the basics of: voltage, air, fuel, and spark.

I would start with the voltage sources. The electronics in this car are voltage sensitive. A low voltage or bad ground can cause many odd behaviors. Make sure your battery is in good shape and well charged. Make sure the battery connections are clean and tight. Check the ground strap from the battery to the car body. This ground strap must be in good condition with clean connections.

I will stop now. It does no good for these to ramble on.

1984 300zx non-turbo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page