Anyone Knows Where Yellow Wire Goes To behind alternator - Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z
User Tag List

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
DGS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question Anyone Knows Where Yellow Wire Goes To behind alternator

I searched the forum but could not find a similar issue.
It is on a 1985 300ZX Naturally Aspirated Engine, manual, with A/C.
I found a single small (16 gauge) hanging wire, coming from back of alternator post connector.
It is a single yellow (or light brown) coming from back of alternator, then goes into a single type connector casing, then the hanging end of the wire is black.

I posted a few pictures to show what I am looking at.
The FSM does not show or refers to that wire at all I attached a picture of the page 24 of the FSM.

Does anyone know where that small wire is supposed to connect to?

Thanks in advance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190122_110057_BTEXT.jpg (157.6 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190122_110057_TEXT.jpg (158.9 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190122_110137_bTEXT.jpg (139.3 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190122_111017.jpg (148.2 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg AlternatorConnection.JPG (21.5 KB, 6 views)

DGS in Alabama
85 300ZX

Last edited by DGS; 01-22-2019 at 11:14 PM. Reason: more information
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 11:46 PM Thread Starter
DGS

(Thread Starter)
So after further research it could be a wire for a condenser that should be bolted to the back of the alternator to keep static out of the radio.

Could that be it?
Where to get that Condenser Noise Filter Suppressor for the alternator?

Any help would be appreciated.

DGS in Alabama
85 300ZX
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 01:15 AM Thread Starter
DGS

(Thread Starter)
I found a thread that shows what I think is missing on mine.
The wire is exactly the same.
I attached a picture of it.

Can I buy any similar condenser from any car part store or does it need to be a certain kind of condenser?

There is also a condenser next to the ignition coil not sure if I can use a similar condenser.

There is no information at all in the FSM.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AlternatorCondenserExample.JPG (24.0 KB, 4 views)

DGS in Alabama
85 300ZX

Last edited by DGS; 01-23-2019 at 01:23 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 01:21 AM Thread Starter
DGS

(Thread Starter)
Here is the picture of possible missing condenser bolted to alternator and connected to positive post. The role of the condenser is to suppress parasitic interference with radio reception and sound.

The question is does it have to be of a certain kind or any ignition condenser would work?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AlternatorCondenserExample.JPG (24.0 KB, 2 views)

DGS in Alabama
85 300ZX
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 02:30 AM

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
No reason it can't be a generic condenser for ignition. The capacitor is fairly forgiving as long as it's rated for 12VDC or up, which any from an auto parts store will be. (A larger condenser will be capable or providing more noise suppression but if too large just takes up extra space.)
Keep the clip. The new one may not have a clip with it.

zippityzda
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
DGS

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbestone View Post
No reason it can't be a generic condenser for ignition. The capacitor is fairly forgiving as long as it's rated for 12VDC or up, which any from an auto parts store will be. (A larger condenser will be capable or providing more noise suppression but if too large just takes up extra space.)
Keep the clip. The new one may not have a clip with it.
Thanks for the information it helps a lot. The auto parts store states 'Doesn't Fit your 1985 Nissan 300ZX" but I am not sure how they can know that for an ignition condenser.

Please one more question: The small hanging wire is connected to the large wire post (Bat) I believe. I am always hesitant to connect a positive to a ground like that. There is no trace of the old one, I think it was never re-installed when the alternator was replaced.

So I should mount the condenser to the body of the alternator and solder its wire to the existing hanging one?

Again thanks.

DGS in Alabama
85 300ZX
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 02:43 AM

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
There is a condenser shown in the circuit diagrams on both the digital dash and analog (needles) dash, with the wire of the condenser attached to the wire (or alternator circuit bolt if it is not a plug/socket connection) that goes from the alternator to the fusible link.

You should verify this by downloading the "1985 300ZX Factory Service Manual" (Google) to get the file from Xenonxcar.com and look at Circuit1 (digital)and Circuit 2 (analog) wiring diagrams from the file folder list.

Condensers (capacitors) are made to have the positive, in this case center wire, connected to the voltage and the case grounded by the strap and bolt. The internal wraps of foil are separated by a "non-conductive" film to allow a charge to build up between the pos and neg foils.

But don't do it on my sayso without further clarification in your mind.

zippityzda
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
DGS

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbestone View Post
There is a condenser shown in the circuit diagrams on both the digital dash and analog (needles) dash, with the wire of the condenser attached to the wire (or alternator circuit bolt if it is not a plug/socket connection) that goes from the alternator to the fusible link.

You should verify this by downloading the "1985 300ZX Factory Service Manual" (Google) to get the file from Xenonxcar.com and look at Circuit1 (digital)and Circuit 2 (analog) wiring diagrams from the file folder list.

Condensers (capacitors) are made to have the positive, in this case center wire, connected to the voltage and the case grounded by the strap and bolt. The internal wraps of foil are separated by a "non-conductive" film to allow a charge to build up between the pos and neg foils.

But don't do it on my sayso without further clarification in your mind.
Thank you again.
I have the hard copy of the 1984 Nissan 300ZX Service manual but I will download the 1985.

It is correct the hanging wire with the female bullet terminal is connected to the cable that screws onto a circuit bolt (10 mm copper nut).

You reassured me, I think I can take it from there.
Hopefully this will also help other forum's members.

Your help is very appreciated.

DGS in Alabama
85 300ZX
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 03:37 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
This is an extra power supply from the ALT to what ever you need to power up.
It's kinda a direct 12V power supply to what ever you need.

70 240Z #6920, 73 C110 Kenmeri Coupe #851, 82 280ZXT 2+2 Auto
Phoenix AZ....KEEP THEM RUNNING!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page