LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 07:32 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
High Idle

I have owned my manual 86 turbo with digital dash etc, for about 3 years, and ever since i bought it, it always idles at around 1100 rpm. I am wondering what the normal rpm should be, and how do I adjust mine?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-09-2018, 03:03 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Garage
The 1100 rpm idle is high. The target for a manual is 700.

The factory service manual (FSM) has a flow chart for chasing down idle problems. First item on the list is to search for vacuum leaks.

If you do not have the FSM here is a link http://www.xenonzcar.com/z31/z31fsm.php

The EFEC section "Diagnostic Procedures" would be a good area to start.

However, before all of that, it is probably a vacuum leak somewhere under the hood. Given the age of the car, if you have not started replacing vacuum lines, there are likely many vacuum leaks.

1984 300zx non-turbo
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 09:17 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Thanks for posting your reply to my question. I do have an fsm, and I will follow your suggestions. I do know I have at least one vacuum leak from the vacuum canister, that I traced back through the firewall to a set of actuators under the dash on the drivers side. I could not go any father because the lines went up further inside the dash. I suspect it is the reason my air conditioning does not activate, even thought it was overhauled about 3-4 years ago. I have replaced the line from the canister to the watercock because I was getting hot air in the cabin even though i had it set as low as it would go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 09:35 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by herje58 View Post
Thanks for posting your reply to my question. I do have an fsm, and I will follow your suggestions. I do know I have at least one vacuum leak from the vacuum canister, that I traced back through the firewall to a set of actuators under the dash on the drivers side. I could not go any father because the lines went up further inside the dash. I suspect it is the reason my air conditioning does not activate, even thought it was overhauled about 3-4 years ago. I have replaced the line from the canister to the watercock because I was getting hot air in the cabin even though i had it set as low as it would go.
I would just replace the whole set of vacuum lines. It'll save headaches in the future. To get them off easier cut them off lengthwise. That is so you dont break off any plastic connections for the lines. Don't cut across the lines as you can damage connectors. Using WD-40 on ONLY the outside of the connectors for the lines will help a lot getting them on as well.

-Sarkiz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page