User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 07:20 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
ignition stuck

Well after a new bypass hose and a new alternator I am happy to report that my Z is running great again. But I decided to open a new can of problems. My girlfriend was constantly buggin me to drive my Z or my Supra and I just don't trust anyone to drive my cars but me. So to solve the problem I got my girl a 87zxt last month. All it needed was an exhaust manifold gasket and it came pre-modded with a hks exhaust, greddy bov and a boost controller.(I gave 2k for it.) But here is the new problem, last night my girl jumps in it and the key won't turn in the igniton. Its completely stuck. I tried the obvious, wiggling the wheel but the wheel is locked up too. What a nightmare. The key is perfectly fine and works in the doors but the ignition will not budge. Has anyone else had this problem? Any ideas on what I'll need to do to fix it? Thanks alot.

Gold 86 300zxt back up and running
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 09:24 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: ignition stuck

When I first purchased my 85 N/A my key wouldn't turn either. I really struggled with it trying the same tricks you are trying. Eventually it would turn after some struggling and I'd be on my way.

What I discovered was that even though this key works *great* in the doors and hatch, the key itself was worn down from 190,000 miles worth of use. I took the key down to the local key shop and they found the pattern (I guess? Not a key maker) and made me 2 new keys. It has been a breeze ever since.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, 84 Turbo (parts)
94 Maxima...VG30 FTW!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[url=http://www.88hy
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 09:38 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Notice how narrow the lower part of the ignition key is. Don't turn the ignition key too hard because it could break into two while inside the lock cylinder. Then you'll have to have a locksmith remove the broken off key segment. It happened to me.

Try turning the steering wheel in either direction and that should allow the ignition key to turn. This is what the owners manual says to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 09:57 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Yea I tried the wheel thing and that didnt work

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 10:15 AM

maybe some WD40.............. but i think Stu might be right on this one.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 10:19 AM

My key just goes in and out of the ignition. I fire up the car, and just pull out the key!! I used to lock the car with it running and the air on when I pulled up at gas stations and such.

The Black Bitch..Not Slow... Featured in Spring 06 SZM

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 09:33 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

turn the wheel a little harder.

Mine freaked on me like that too the other night, and I just had to turn the wheel a little harder while turning the key and it worked.

Signature: Where has all the common sense gone? It's as if people log onto their computers and log off their brains.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-18-2005, 03:36 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Thanks alot all. AZbum you were right on the mark. It took a real firm twist to get it. Ive never had it happen like that before, but all is well now.

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page