Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-24-2002, 09:45 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Sob Story

Well, it happened. I totalled my 86 300ZX N/A. I lost control and ended up in the ditch. I hit the culvert with the back end of my car, flipping the car over the driveway into the other side of the ditch. Luckily I escaped with just a knot on my head and a bad case of whiplash. The engine stayed in tact and in good condition with 81,000 miles on it. The question I had was would it be a good idea to buy the car back from the insurance agency and part out what I can from the car? Thanks for your input.

Jarald
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-24-2002, 11:04 PM

That sucks

I did the same to my 86 N/A only much more extreme. I was in the hospital for a while and I flipped my car six times. (according to the police report) I was coming down a mountain and went off a 40ft embankment, got some mild amnesia, and fractured part of my skull, though I was okay considering what the car looked like. I don't remeber the wreck I just saw the car, it was not salvagable, one of my rims split in two pieces and the oil pan had been punctured by a large object, and both of my rear axles broke. No telling what else, I didn't even bother to look at it and try to buy it back, though in better news I got paid 2 times what I paid for the car and didn't really worry about it. How much does your Ins, want for it?

Pike
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-24-2002, 11:20 PM

Re: That sucks

Look at it this way. Shows you how well these cars are built. I know for a fact that if you did that in a Camaro or Trans Am of the same year you would have been killed! Depends on if you want another Z31. If you do, there are plenty of Z31s in need of a drivetrain that can be bought pretty cheap. It sounds like if you were wanting to sell it for parts, just do some research on prices of parts that are left on the car. good luck.

Rode hard, put up wet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-25-2002, 03:25 AM

z31s can be bought cheap running or not. get the insurance money and buy another car. sorry to hear about your wreck, man. but im glad to see you made it out ok.

Speed isn't dangerous. It's that sudden stop that'll kill you.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-25-2002, 01:57 PM

i'm sorry to hear that. i just recently totalled my cherried out 280zxt. i was doin about 110 when i came around a corner. stupid me forgot about the dinky spare tire i had just put on (i know very stupid) and it didn't hold to the road. i flipped off backwards down a very steep 60 ft enbankment (can't ahrdly walk down it) flipped 3 times one being end over end and landed upside down. i crawled out the back hartch with only a few cuts.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-25-2002, 09:15 PM

Back to your question

Glad to know you're OK. The insurance company may not sell it back to you for liability reasons and for $$$$$$ reasons. They can probably get more for it by selling it to a junkyard. So, save your money and start looking for a new baby.

Good Luck!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-25-2002, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Re: Back to your question

I just found out that I'm getting 3200 for it and they will sell it back to me for 100. The only problem is storage. Should I or shouldn't I? I appreciate everyone's input. I guess I'm not the only one that screws up a little. Thanks
Jarald
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-25-2002, 09:58 PM

you lucky duck. Insurance Co. takes them to a salvage auction which is sold to the highest bidder. If I were you I would buy it back and either save the engine & tranny for another car, or sell the parts on Ebay & Z31. Make some money out of your misfortune. Good Luck.

Rode hard, put up wet.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-26-2002, 03:33 AM

Good deal. I only got 3000. for my 85t but the ins co asked if I wanted to keep the car. Mine only had minor damage but the cost of a well done repair was more than the value of the car. I still drive it. I don't think most ins co's want to fool with an old car like this. If you part it you can make some extra cash but make sure you have a way to dispose of what's left. A junkyard won't pay much for wrecked z31 even if it has all the parts. Time for a turbo

---
Mike
1985 Nissan 300zx Turbo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-26-2002, 07:11 PM

You are lucky you are around to tell the story. Those cars fold quicker than a bad poker player.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page