crank crank bang crank nothing - Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-20-2003, 10:44 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
crank crank bang crank nothing

My '77 cranks VERY strongly, and there IS fuel getting to the cylinders. It will (not bang) go 'clunk clunk clunk' and kick out a little smoke every now and then, but wont turn over. The only thing i can think of is the positioning of the spark plug wires from the distributor cap. I have them in 1-5-3-6-2-4 counter-clockwise order with the 1 plug at just below the left hold-down clip for the distributor cap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-20-2003, 10:49 PM

Re: crank crank bang crank nothing

sounds like what happend to me on a 260. I could have swore the wires were right, but turns out that they were 180 degrees out. Try rotating them around 180 degrees. Hope this works.

Long Live the Z

Long Live the Z

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-20-2003, 10:53 PM

Re: crank crank bang crank nothing

Your firing order of the plugs is ..... correct..... but first rotate your crank by hand or with a remote starter button and after you are at TDC or thereabouts take off the distributor cap and check for certain that the number one clyinder is indeed pointing at the number one cylinder spark plug lead corresponding to the #1 at the distributor cap.
Standing in front of the engine... if you could remove the hood or pretend it is not there.... your firing order going toward the passengers side of engine starting whereever #1 cylinder is actually lined up from the TDC mark at crank pulley and the #1 lead at the dist cap ... then your wires should be as follows : 142635 ... this I personally think of as "clockwise" but if you are not firing right now then your #1 and according plug wires to your dist are indeed wrong. Goodluck. shane-

None of us is as smart as all of us. Lots of Z's. One porsche '917K' built by me. One 70' Lotus Europa with a 4-AGZE engine supercharged built by me. Impossibe things to do before breakfast are my speciality ! Happy Trails !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-21-2003, 02:14 PM

keep in mind...

that the injection system shuts down if the battery voltage drops below 8V (slow cranking!) during cranking.
Enno
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page