Makeshift accoustical econo-mat - Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-16-2002, 03:32 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Makeshift accoustical econo-mat

I have an idea and have not yet tested this yet, perhaps if anyone has tried similar techinique and provide some feedback or even just share your thoughts on this subject....
instead of buying the expensive materials out there for accoustical insulation, i have some sheets of rubber roofing material left over from the past summer, can i apply this the same way with roof cement, or other type of adhesive?, i like the durability and solidity of the material, but how practical is this in this type of application.and then apply the same type of aluminum type of roofing paint for thermo control. i don't think it's too heavy if not the same as the other materials out there, if you calculate it by sq ft.at 1/8" thickness, evenly distributed, of course...
any thoughts are appreciated.
thanks
wil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-16-2002, 03:38 PM

Re: MAKESHIFT ACCOUSTICAL ECONO-MAT

i would also like to soundproof my car the cheap way. i currently have all the interior out and been driving it around like that forever. i have a nice stereo and i would love to hear it over the freeway crusing noise. i was thinking about spraying truck bed liner in my car.

david karey
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-16-2002, 03:59 PM

materials....

Though they might just look like a sheet of rubber, they are much more than that. They absorb sound instead of reflecting it.

I had to do a bunch of research into soundproofing a studio at my old job, I found out that you can hang up some rubber and foam on the walls, but it will still echo, and sound still passes through it.

Your rubber strips may work somewhat, but not as well as the professional stuff. There is a reason behind its price..

----------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the off topic Nissan/Z forum at

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-16-2002, 09:15 PM
JR

Tyson, what IS the best stuff?

Dynamat? Super Dynomat? The MSA felt stuff? The JC Whitney foil/rubber/foil? Bubble wrap? Johns Manville R-11? Truck bed stuff squirted everywhere?

If you had to pick something that would offer the best heat and sound insulation to put in a Z, what would it be?

Thanks!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-16-2002, 09:31 PM

Re: YES Tyson, what IS the best stuff?

I'd like to read the answer too!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-17-2002, 12:44 AM

Dynomat!

Placed dynomat on the floors, bed, sides, door panels. The sound deadening is impressive. I have a 3/4 race motor, 2.5" exhaust and I can "listen" to the stereo even while I am running through the gears. Lotsa $ though.

Velocity = ($*Effort)^(1/3)
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-17-2002, 12:17 PM

Re: Dynomat!

And the "Super Dynamat" is even better!!!...and more expensive, too...but you get what you pay for...yes, it weighs a bit but no more that Aunt Mabel in the passenger seat... )
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page