5-Speed transmission and the wrong console - Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 08:02 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
5-Speed transmission and the wrong console

Finally got the engine and 5-speed transmission into my '71. As I'd expected, the shifter is several inches forward, which means my center console either has to be modified or swapped for a '72 or later console.

Will the part with the stereo and heater controls fit the later-model console or will other modifications be needed?

Follow-up question would be is there anyone out there with a '72 console they would part with?

Thanks!

http://ace240z.com/current.html

Watch your weight or someone might steal it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 03:09 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
I did the swap too and I cut the tunnel little bit so I can use the 71-78 shift rod.
Even with my 72 console in my 70 Z!
Just a heads up.

70 240Z #6920, 73 C110 Kenmeri Coupe #851, 82 280ZXT 2+2 Auto
Phoenix AZ....KEEP THEM RUNNING!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 12:15 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
You can also modify the shift lever so that it clears. It takes a cut and then welding plus some bending, but it can be done. Do some searching. The good thing is you do not have to hack up the console.

12/70 build 240Z
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 07:10 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dat240sun View Post
You can also modify the shift lever so that it clears. It takes a cut and then welding plus some bending, but it can be done. Do some searching. The good thing is you do not have to hack up the console.
I did this many years ago, I went to a Metal shop with a large bending machine and they bent the Shifter in proper position in like 2 minutes. No Heating no cutting Etc.. Fit perfect.

you've ever been beside a semi's trailer on the highway, looked through to the other side and thought " I could make that!"
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 01:05 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
I'd bend the shifter way before hacking up the car.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 04:25 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Route66 View Post
I'd bend the shifter way before hacking up the car.
+1

I agree... (wouldn't let me post just "+1")

1974 "early" 260Z - L28ET - MS3X full sequential fuel and spark, COP=Ford 4.6 coilpacks w/ Nissan Ignitor, diyautotune chopper wheel - FMIC - T04E .63 A/R - 400cc Injectors (too big!), 14point7 Spartan2 Wideband - C/R 5-speed - Coilovers - Big Brake Kit up front, Porterfield friction all around. Mesa, AZ
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Enlarging the hole in the tunnel where the shifter protrudes doesn't bother me because the car has endured a lot of hacking by previous owners, and I've done some mods myself, but the original question remains:

If I use a '72 center console, will the "front console" (with the stereo and heater controls) attach to it without modifications?

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 09:56 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acemon View Post
Enlarging the hole in the tunnel where the shifter protrudes doesn't bother me because the car has endured a lot of hacking by previous owners, and I've done some mods myself, but the original question remains:

If I use a '72 center console, will the "front console" (with the stereo and heater controls) attach to it without modifications?

Changing over to the newer console isn't without issues. You're going to also have to change to the 72 choke cables, and the 72 ashtray won't fit as good as it should if you even use it.. Cutting the early console isn't that big of a deal. You have to make a half moon size notch on the front end right in the middle. It needs to be about 1" tall and about 2" wide at the bottom. I sell an all leather shift boot that fits in there very nicely and you put a piece of foam rubber under the boot so that it pushes the boot into the notch you cut. That way you'll never even see the notch. You do need to use the rubber shift boot and retaining ring out of the 72-78 z. I've done that conversion many times through the years and they turn out very nice. I've also done a modified shift tower but be aware that it increases the throw from front to back significantly. I prefer modifying the console and then I also do a shortened shifter. I take 2" out of the shift tower and with the way that I do it, you can't even tell it's been done other than a shorter throw.
Z Man of Washington

1978 black pearl show car-retired, I bought it new. 1983 zx turbo daily driver, modified, 3rd owner. 1970 240 #638 driver. 1973 240 roadster being built. 50+ other z's & zx's. 57 Chev Sedan Delivery. 79 620 King Cab. Store front

landline 360-668-2979 cell 206-363-3577
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 08:25 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the information and advice!

I did some measuring and drew the existing assembly in AutoCAD, and after trying some different options I decided to go with a modified shifter. I'll use the base of the shifter - the part that connects with bushings to the transmission - then weld a piece of steel bar to that, thread a hole into it and screw the shaft into the hole. I can center the relocated shifter in the existing cutout and still use the '70-'71 rubber boot. Should work pretty well.

Here's the page I put together on my site to show the design: http://ace240z.com/shifter.html

Last edited by Acemon; 10-18-2019 at 10:17 PM.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Today, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Turns out the joke's on me. I was digging thru a box of parts that came with the car... and found a tightly bent shifter that misses the console. Looking at the base I can see where it was heated with a torch.

When I bought the car years back I remember seeing the shifter but thought it must have come from a different model, and I thought it looked kinda goofy, but now I can get back to work on other things.

Thanks again to everyone who contributed!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page