1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 12:12 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Pikes Peak

I found the operational ceiling of a stock 1975 EFI. the car had no problems at all on the nearly 4000 mile round trip from FL to CO, but did not quite make it to the top.

https://youtu.be/QodLZs49sSc?t=395
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 02:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
We do have some high peaks here in Colorado, don't we? I recall that older cars like my '66 GTO had much less power at those altitudes than they did 5,000 feet lower.

I'll have to try my '83 280 ZX Turbo on Trail Ridge Road in Estes Park next summer. 11,500 feet ought to be a nice test.

https://www.nps.gov/romo/planyourvis...ridge_road.htm
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 05:46 PM

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
I found the operational ceiling of a stock 1975 EFI. the car had no problems at all on the nearly 4000 mile round trip from FL to CO, but did not quite make it to the top.

https://youtu.be/QodLZs49sSc?t=395
Pretty incredible Dave, thanks for posting this. Do you have any other car videos from your trip?

1978 280z - stock L28 engine - Dallas, TX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I have several will be posting later in the week. The next best one was going thru a tunnel in the Ozark mountains. The trip started in central florida, thru GA/AL/MS/AR/MO/KS/CO going out, back was CO/KS/MO/IL/KY/TN/AL/GA/FL. I was averaging 800-900 miles per day, drive or sleep at a rest stop until I got to Pikes Peak. It was full on vanishing point...

I would like to make the Denver to SF in to honor Kowalski.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 11:49 PM

Quote:
I have several will be posting later in the week. The next best one was going thru a tunnel in the Ozark mountains. The trip started in central florida, thru GA/AL/MS/AR/MO/KS/CO going out, back was CO/KS/MO/IL/KY/TN/AL/GA/FL. I was averaging 800-900 miles per day, drive or sleep at a rest stop until I got to Pikes Peak. It was full on vanishing point...

I would like to make the Denver to SF in to honor Kowalski.
That's awesome, can't wait to see the other videos

post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 02:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Nice video. I can see why turning around on that road had to be done VERY carefully!!

I'm surprised, I would have thought that the FI would have operated regardless of altitude. But there you are...!
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 02:57 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilgrim View Post
Nice video. I can see why turning around on that road had to be done VERY carefully!!

I'm surprised, I would have thought that the FI would have operated regardless of altitude. But there you are...!
I assume my system is working as it should, have not found anything about the L jettronic having issues at extreme altitudes. I can only think the AFM flap was too much of a restriction, but that is just a SWAG. I was hoping someone could chime in with some experience with like altitudes to confirm or deny the problem.

Note I changed the plugs at the end of the trip, they looked fine, very light tan color on the insulators, some blackish color on the metal rim. This is with about 9k miles on them, I just wanted to see if I had a chronic mixture problem. The current setup is pretty lean (will die very quickly if the oil filler cap is removed). I am running about 10 degrees of advance at idle. (California car) the EGR and PCV are all in place, the EGR appears to be working (at idle I can lift it up at the diaphragm and the car will stumble). Vacuum as sea level is a little lower than I would like (just barely 17 inHg). I can improve it with a richer fuel mix and more advance, but that is the way it is. I have not checked the cam timing, maybe its a bit retarded. I will check the valve lash since its been a while. I "think" I can hear a slight vacuum leak, around the intake manifold, will check with smoke. Cleary a vacuum leak could mess things up....

Last edited by Dave M; 09-23-2019 at 03:04 PM.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 11:36 AM

Quote:
I assume my system is working as it should, have not found anything about the L jettronic having issues at extreme altitudes. I can only think the AFM flap was too much of a restriction, but that is just a SWAG. I was hoping someone could chime in with some experience with like altitudes to confirm or deny the problem.

Note I changed the plugs at the end of the trip, they looked fine, very light tan color on the insulators, some blackish color on the metal rim. This is with about 9k miles on them, I just wanted to see if I had a chronic mixture problem. The current setup is pretty lean (will die very quickly if the oil filler cap is removed). I am running about 10 degrees of advance at idle. (California car) the EGR and PCV are all in place, the EGR appears to be working (at idle I can lift it up at the diaphragm and the car will stumble). Vacuum as sea level is a little lower than I would like (just barely 17 inHg). I can improve it with a richer fuel mix and more advance, but that is the way it is. I have not checked the cam timing, maybe its a bit retarded. I will check the valve lash since its been a while. I "think" I can hear a slight vacuum leak, around the intake manifold, will check with smoke. Cleary a vacuum leak could mess things up....
Can you explain a bit about how to check the EGR? Where is the diaphragm that you lift?

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 01:10 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
the EGR valve is opened and closed by atmospheric pressure. So when there is a vacuum applied in the servo top, the bottom is pushed up, pulling open the valve. at idle it should be closed, you can put your finger under the servo and simply push it up, the car will stumble but should settle right back down as soon as you release it. the bottom of the servo is open and connects to lever that pulls up on the EGR.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 02:57 PM

Quote:
the EGR valve is opened and closed by atmospheric pressure. So when there is a vacuum applied in the servo top, the bottom is pushed up, pulling open the valve. at idle it should be closed, you can put your finger under the servo and simply push it up, the car will stumble but should settle right back down as soon as you release it. the bottom of the servo is open and connects to lever that pulls up on the EGR.
So if my EGR is not working, when I push up on the bottom, nothing will happen, right?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page