280z Hatch Glass / Seal removal - Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
280z Hatch Glass / Seal removal

So I have a lot of rust bubbling along the bottom of the hatch seal. I don't think I need to remove the glass but I need to remove the seal (chrome center with rubber on both sides) in order to treat the rust. Does anbody have a link to instruction on removing and reinstalling the seal? I assume I probably need a new one which is a shame, the current seal looks in great shape. Thanks for any direction.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 02:31 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Garage
The hatch glass sits in a channel in that "seal". It's a complex bit of rubber that holds the glass, fits around a flange on the hatch to keep the glass in place while sealing the top of the hatch from the elements. The "chrome center" is stainless steel strips that hold the weatherstrip in shape so it doesn't pull away from the corners.

Normally it's easiest to cut the existing weatherstrip to get it out of the hatch and use a new one to re-install the glass with the new weatherstrip. If the existing weatherstrip is still very pliable, you could remove it by prying it off the hatch flange from the bottom side of the hatch and pushing it (and the glass) up. It's normally not worth the effort it requires though.

These come from an era where the glass is not glued in like todays auto's. Maybe there's a YouTube video that shows how 1970's automotive glass is installed...

1974 "early" 260Z - L28ET - MS3X full sequential fuel and spark, COP=Ford 4.6 coilpacks w/ Nissan Ignitor, diyautotune chopper wheel - FMIC - T04E .63 A/R - 400cc Injectors (too big!), 14point7 Spartan2 Wideband - C/R 5-speed - Coilovers - Big Brake Kit up front, Porterfield friction all around. Mesa, AZ
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 05:43 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
TBH I'd take it to an auto glass expert who is used to dealing with this old style of seals to remove/reinstall the glass. It is very easy to shatter the glass if too much pressure is put anywhere.

I had my front and back glass redone at a classic auto glass shop for $200. Well worth the money as new glass for our cars is not cheap.

I'm sure you can have them remove the glass and hold it while you work on the rust.

1978 280z - stock L28 engine - Dallas, TX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 08:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgsheen View Post
The hatch glass sits in a channel in that "seal". It's a complex bit of rubber that holds the glass, fits around a flange on the hatch to keep the glass in place while sealing the top of the hatch from the elements. The "chrome center" is stainless steel strips that hold the weatherstrip in shape so it doesn't pull away from the corners.

Normally it's easiest to cut the existing weatherstrip to get it out of the hatch and use a new one to re-install the glass with the new weatherstrip. If the existing weatherstrip is still very pliable, you could remove it by prying it off the hatch flange from the bottom side of the hatch and pushing it (and the glass) up. It's normally not worth the effort it requires though.

These come from an era where the glass is not glued in like todays auto's. Maybe there's a YouTube video that shows how 1970's automotive glass is installed...

If the rubber is pliable still and you know what you're doing you can pull the rubber and glass as a unit and get away with it. Like someone else says, too much pressure and your have a shattered window. Much safer for you to cut the rubber to remove the glass and replace the rubber gasket outright. I usually carry the rubber in stock. If you want some you'll have to contact me direct via my e-mail or call me. Regular price is 69.95 but mention to me that you use zcar.com and the price is lowered to 64.95. Another word of wisdom, cut the chrome trim out with a razor blade first and under no circumstances ever pry on it even a little bit. If you tweak it you'll render it unusable, don't even look at it cross eyed. Z man of Washington
360-668-2979

1978 black pearl show car-retired, I bought it new. 1983 zx turbo daily driver, modified, 3rd owner. 1970 240 #638 driver. 1973 240 roadster being built. 50+ other z's & zx's. 57 Chev Sedan Delivery. 79 620 King Cab. Store front
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
landline 360-668-2979 cell 206-363-3577

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page