what would you pay for this car? - Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
what would you pay for this car?

A friend has had this car for 16 years and planned on restoring it. He started to take it apart 3 years ago (it was running well when he started). He put a new radiator, clutch, starter in it. He also had the carbs rebuilt. It did have an 260z engine swap at some point. it needs new carpet a d seats and a new center console. What would you consider a fair price for this car? Its totally straight, never been in an accident, but has some surface rust.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190915_144829_1568676474974.jpg (137.0 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg 20190915_143821_1568676498708.jpg (146.0 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg 20190915_144150_1568676519266.jpg (106.0 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg 20190915_144009_1568676544306.jpg (85.1 KB, 29 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 10:22 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
He is asking $3500 for it. Is that to much or a good deal?
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 10:27 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
1972? Does it have an interior?

1978 280z - stock L28 engine - Dallas, TX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 10:33 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
sorry its a 73 with a 260z engine swap. it has the interior except for the carpet. I was going to replace anyways, other than that its a complete car.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff.hill View Post
sorry its a 73 with a 260z engine swap. it has the interior except for the carpet. I was going to replace anyways, other than that its a complete car.
If you're looking for something that will hold its value, a non-numbers matching car (engine/chassis with matching serial numbers) is not it. Also, the 260 engine is hot garbage compared to the standard 240 or 280 engine.

A car that needs new carpet ($450), re-upholstered seats ($300 if you do the work yourself), missing consoles/other stuff is going to add up quickly.

Define "surface rust." If there's visible rust on the upper body, the underside might be terrible (frame rails, floor pans, etc). Cutting out/re-welding new metal is incredibly expensive especially if you have someone do it (thousand(s) of dollars).

Also, for something you basically have to put together yourself, (with an engine which may or may not work well or at all) $3,500 is a slap in the face. A car in that condition (without rust) should go for MAYBE $1,200 on a good day.

"No lowballers, I know what I have" usually means they don't know what they have.

This is a roundabout way of saying 'no, don't bother with this car unless you can get him down to 1k ish' (and have the means & space to doing all of this work yourself).

post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 12:11 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
i restore vw's and just finished the last one, so looking for a new project. the surface rust has not gone through. The floor pan and frame is solid. now patch panels are needed. I will be doing all the work myself, including paint. I asked if he would take $1200. He said he would.

Would you pull the trigger at that point?
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 01:21 PM

Quote:
i restore vw's and just finished the last one, so looking for a new project. the surface rust has not gone through. The floor pan and frame is solid. now patch panels are needed. I will be doing all the work myself, including paint. I asked if he would take $1200. He said he would.

Would you pull the trigger at that point?
If you have the means to replace all that (and the finances for when stuff he says works actually doesn't) then I guess sure.

I wouldn't simply because i don't have the means to cut and weld new panels. I would however take a look at Motorsport's patch panel area and make sure they do indeed have the panels you need (https://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/CTGY/classic02o04b).

One last thing - I'd take a look at the wiring and make sure the looms aren't chewed up or cut/screwed with as replacement looms don't exist and the last thing you want is to redo wiring for a car like this.

post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 02:18 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
A friend has had this car for 16 years and planned on restoring it. He started to take it apart 3 years ago (it was running well when he started). He put a new radiator, clutch, starter in it. He also had the carbs rebuilt. It did have an 260z engine swap at some point. it needs new carpet a d seats and a new center console. What would you consider a fair price for this car? Its totally straight, never been in an accident, but has some surface rust.
Looks like a money pit.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
thanks, he said he would take $1200, but i think I'm going to pass. i have the means and ability, but the motor swap is a big turn off. I was hoping that this was a car that i could put together, clean it up and a solid running car and turn a nice profit on it. Based of the nada and hagerty price evaluation it seemed like a no brainer to buy it, but you have changed my mind. thank you.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 08:47 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Well, shoot. I'm coming in late but I think $1,200 is a pretty good deal if the car is in the condition you describe. Lot of work and bucks to get it up to snuff again, but unrusted, even half-decent 240Zs are going for insane money these days. If there's nothing mechanically wrong with the L26 engine, they're fine engines and you're already ahead of the game with round-top carbs. Honestly, I would guess that you could make money flipping this car as a fixer without doing anything to it — again, if it's truly not rusted or wrecked. Or part it out and easily make your $$ back. Finally, I may be wrong here - but I always understood Zs were NOT 'numbers matching' (meaning the chassis, engine and tranny numbers 'matched' some build sheet) like American iron. More knowledgeable people please correct me if that's wrong. Anyway, if you want an original 240 engine, just find one and sell the L26. Sheesh, if I wasn't broke (and my wife wouldn't kill me) I'd buy this car in a hot minute.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page