Fuel Injection Rated Hose - Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Fuel Injection Rated Hose

I have a 1982 280ZX that I am in the process of replacing all the fuel hose that are attached to the gas tank. I replaced the two vent hoses with regular fuel hose and the return with fuel injection rated hose. I am having a problem finding the hose that goes from the pump to the tank, it has the spring coil wrapped around it. I tried a 3/8 but it does not fit, even with a heat gun, lube, etc. My next option is a 7/16 fuel hose but I cannot find one that for "fuel injection". I read the service manual and I believe the fuel pressure is at 36 psi. Can I use regular fuel hose or does it have to be fuel injection rated? The tank is dropped and I only want to do this once, the right way. Thank you for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 12:13 AM

Well, common fuel hose is rated for a service pressure of 50lb., and, as I recall, a burst pressure rating of something north of 100lb. "FI" rated hose is considerably higher.

While the conservative approach says "overbuild everything", there is another canard that "it's good enough for government work" that is not necessarily the battle cry of a fool.

On the other hand, you might want to Google fuel hose SAE standards to understand that lines like vapor, have special hose construction requirements, different than just fuel delivery.

I suggest that your answers lie in the homework.

--------------------------
Keep 'em flying...

S.J.Szabo
-------------------------

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 11:40 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brahms73 View Post
I have a 1982 280ZX that I am in the process of replacing all the fuel hose that are attached to the gas tank. I replaced the two vent hoses with regular fuel hose and the return with fuel injection rated hose. I am having a problem finding the hose that goes from the pump to the tank, it has the spring coil wrapped around it. I tried a 3/8 but it does not fit, even with a heat gun, lube, etc. My next option is a 7/16 fuel hose but I cannot find one that for "fuel injection". I read the service manual and I believe the fuel pressure is at 36 psi. Can I use regular fuel hose or does it have to be fuel injection rated? The tank is dropped and I only want to do this once, the right way. Thank you for your help.
It’s a regular fuel hose that is 1/2” that what was stock. High pressure ones are needed after the fuel pump. One issue I had was getting a 90 degree bend in it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 06:34 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
You are simply wrong on your measurements. You had 12mm hose, and if you look at Autozone you will be able to find 12mm EFI Rated Hose. Yes, they may call it '7/16" Hose'

Worst case, you simply go to the dealer and order a new hose as on a ZX those are some pretty convoluted hoses and the moulded hoses off the top of the tank really make routing easier.

What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun -- that means
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If I throw a dog a bone, I don't want to know if it tastes good or not. -- Brick Top
Canadians don't get it. Period. End of discussion.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 12:38 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thank you for the info. 1/2 inch hose was way too big, even by just looking at it so I got the 7/16 instead. It fit perfectly to the fuel pump and but alittle looser to the tank. I clamped everything down nice and snug. I was told that anything before the fuel pump was low pressure and regular fuel hose would suffice. I attached everything back up and got the car running, so far so good. If anything happens now I know to look for 12mm efi rated hose

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in