getting CAR SHOW ready !! - Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
getting CAR SHOW ready !!

Good afternoon Z lovers !
I am pleased to announce that I am going to enter my car into a southern California car show this year later in December. The car show is consisted of cars during the 80's and 90's. I own a 1983 280zx NA 5 speed. It has been my pride and joy since i bought it almost 3 years ago. I can post pics of it soon. The reason behind posting about this and letting you all know is to get feedback on the process to get it ready for the car show. I want to pretty much redo the aesthetic of the engine bay and making it look nice and easy to look at. As you all know the L28 engine came with the trumpet looking fuel rail and the crazy amount of vacuum lines throughout the and around the engine. I plan on getting a sleek fuel rail, either buying one or having one made my self or by a shop. I also want to have the intake manifold and valve cover powder coated in a wrinkle black finish. I need your feed back on what other mods i should do while things are gonna be taken apart and dismantled, just keep in mind I do have a budget and limited time due to being in school and working full time. I was thinking some block off plates here and there for the intake to make it more sleek ? Not sure but all suggestions would be greatly appreciated ! Thank you (:

-RM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Here is my car freshly washed, I plan to also get wheels for it also to fill in the wheel wells.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0338.jpg (319.2 KB, 19 views)
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 01:42 AM

Location: Workin in the United Arab Emirates; Livin in North Carolina; Born and raised in Southern Utah
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
that's a great looking Z! i'm diggin the top strip tint on the windshield. is that even legal? hehe. i have the same on my 300zx, but its normal for all cars out here

what color is that? factory or custom color?

honestly as far as car shows go, i'd leave it stock. reason being, it may not be worth the hassle to make all these changes in a short amount of time. unless you're specifically going to a nissan/datsun Z car show, then there is really no need to make your car stand out from all the others. especially if its in a pool of different cars and makes. yours already stands out! some people won't even know what kind of car it is... and thats unique right there in itself.

now if you're entering a Z car show, thats a bit different. people know what they're seeing. the cars are familiar. and they know what to look for.

something to think about is to know why are you taking it to the show in the first place. whats the goal? maybe you want to be the best in show, win a trophy or a prize, maybe you just want to show the world what you got, and perhaps you just want to be around a group of people who have the same common interest as you. mind you, there are usually catagories in these shows, such as: best original unmodified car, best modified car or custom car, best in class, cleanest car, most unique car, people's choice, etc..
if you're trying to outclass everyone and go for the 1st place -depending on catagory, you better to have bling: tons of chrome, good paint, great cleanliness, and lots of polished parts in your car.

i took my restored and unique 280z to my local annual zcar show a few times and i thought for sure mine would really stand out. it didn't. sure it turned a few heads and got some good looks, but that's about it. and as good as i thought my car was, it opened my eyes to how much better and cleaner the other cars were. sometimes the best thing is to take what you got and lower your expectations. unless you really got a show car and that's all it is -just a weekend show car, its not always worth the time and money to make it car show ready.
sometimes, a stock car in immaculate condition that's been nicely taken care of can be very pleasing to look at and attract attention. from the looks of yours, i have no doubt that it would do just that.

if this is your first car show, here's my suggestion- take it as it is. clean it up real good. make it nice and tidy. maybe go the extra mile in some areas, have pride in what you bring and see how it goes. then after that, you'll know what to expect when you go to the next show.

Bon

All the Gods, all the Heavens, all the Hells, are within you. - Joseph Campbell -

Pooja II ~ 1984 300ZXT 50th AE ~ 2018 - 2019
Pooja ~ 1987 300ZX 2+2 NA2T ~ 2012 - 2018
Suzanna ~ 1983 280ZX Coupe ~ 2010 - 2019
Alana ~ 1976 280z Coupe NA2T ~ 2008 - 2019
Dianna ~ 1980 280ZX Slick Top ~ 2001 - 2007
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 06:50 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyMcfly97 View Post
Here is my car freshly washed, I plan to also get wheels for it also to fill in the wheel wells.
Is this the gunmetal gray that the R32 skyline came in?

1978 280z - stock L28 engine - Dallas, TX
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 02:27 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonfire79 View Post
that's a great looking Z! i'm diggin the top strip tint on the windshield. is that even legal? hehe. i have the same on my 300zx, but its normal for all cars out here

what color is that? factory or custom color?

honestly as far as car shows go, i'd leave it stock. reason being, it may not be worth the hassle to make all these changes in a short amount of time. unless you're specifically going to a nissan/datsun Z car show, then there is really no need to make your car stand out from all the others. especially if its in a pool of different cars and makes. yours already stands out! some people won't even know what kind of car it is... and thats unique right there in itself.

now if you're entering a Z car show, thats a bit different. people know what they're seeing. the cars are familiar. and they know what to look for.

something to think about is to know why are you taking it to the show in the first place. whats the goal? maybe you want to be the best in show, win a trophy or a prize, maybe you just want to show the world what you got, and perhaps you just want to be around a group of people who have the same common interest as you. mind you, there are usually catagories in these shows, such as: best original unmodified car, best modified car or custom car, best in class, cleanest car, most unique car, people's choice, etc..
if you're trying to outclass everyone and go for the 1st place -depending on catagory, you better to have bling: tons of chrome, good paint, great cleanliness, and lots of polished parts in your car.

i took my restored and unique 280z to my local annual zcar show a few times and i thought for sure mine would really stand out. it didn't. sure it turned a few heads and got some good looks, but that's about it. and as good as i thought my car was, it opened my eyes to how much better and cleaner the other cars were. sometimes the best thing is to take what you got and lower your expectations. unless you really got a show car and that's all it is -just a weekend show car, its not always worth the time and money to make it car show ready.
sometimes, a stock car in immaculate condition that's been nicely taken care of can be very pleasing to look at and attract attention. from the looks of yours, i have no doubt that it would do just that.

if this is your first car show, here's my suggestion- take it as it is. clean it up real good. make it nice and tidy. maybe go the extra mile in some areas, have pride in what you bring and see how it goes. then after that, you'll know what to expect when you go to the next show.

Bon
@bon Thanks alot ! took 2 years to get it where it's at. Definitely a custom color. Supposed to be a cyber grey from a corvette but slightly different. I guess the main purpose for this itch to clean up the engine bay is due to how nice the car looks from outside. I just get a weird feeling if someone asks to see the engine it looks like a mess of wiring and hoses and they don't know what they're looking at. So if I simplify it and put at least a fuel rail, and powder coat somethings here and there ill feel more proud of what i have under the hood ? Thank you so much for the advice !!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page