User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Tps

Can anyone describe where to find the TPS?
Is it a box of some kind that can be opened?

Thank you,
GT75Z
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 11:49 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Garage
The Throttle Position Sensor is mounted on the outboard side of the throttle body. On the 1975 - 1983 Z and ZX, it's not actually a true position sensor. On the NA EFI vehicles it merely has two switches that let the ECU know if the throttle is closed, and if it's fully open (has an "idle" switch, and a WOT switch). Very easy to test as it's an extremely simple device.

1974 "early" 260Z - L28ET - MS3X full sequential fuel and spark, COP=Ford 4.6 coilpacks w/ Nissan Ignitor, diyautotune chopper wheel - FMIC - T04E .63 A/R - 400cc Injectors (too big!), 14point7 Spartan2 Wideband - C/R 5-speed - Coilovers - Big Brake Kit up front, Porterfield friction all around. Mesa, AZ
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgsheen View Post
The Throttle Position Sensor is mounted on the outboard side of the throttle body. On the 1975 - 1983 Z and ZX, it's not actually a true position sensor. On the NA EFI vehicles it merely has two switches that let the ECU know if the throttle is closed, and if it's fully open (has an "idle" switch, and a WOT switch). Very easy to test as it's an extremely simple device.
Thank you. In my efforts to find the elusive TPS, I am still thinking it is the TVS (Throttle Valve Switch) and from what you describe, that is what it sounds like. Just behind the TVS I found a wired connection that could be a sensor. I have not tried to unplug it yet cause I would like someone to identify what the TPS is.
Yes, the TVS is a switch and it is working properly on my car. It is not a sensor so I want to know what a Throttle Position Sensor is and where to find it.

Thanks to all,
GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 07:54 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Garage
Same thing - different name. In the Factory Service Manual and on the circuit diagram Nissan refers to it officially as the "Throttle Valve Switch" (which is a very appropriate name because it's just two switches...). Everyone else just refers to it colloquially as the TPS or Throttle Position Sensor (which in these early cars, it really ISN'T). The "true" TPS didn't come along until much later vehicles.

You can look forever, you'll never find a factory installed TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) on any Z or ZX... And you'll rarely find another human that refers to that little black box on the side of the throttle body as a "Throttle Valve Switch" OR TVS (as they should). Just saying...

1974 "early" 260Z - L28ET - MS3X full sequential fuel and spark, COP=Ford 4.6 coilpacks w/ Nissan Ignitor, diyautotune chopper wheel - FMIC - T04E .63 A/R - 400cc Injectors (too big!), 14point7 Spartan2 Wideband - C/R 5-speed - Coilovers - Big Brake Kit up front, Porterfield friction all around. Mesa, AZ
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgsheen View Post
Same thing - different name. In the Factory Service Manual and on the circuit diagram Nissan refers to it officially as the "Throttle Valve Switch" (which is a very appropriate name because it's just two switches...). Everyone else just refers to it colloquially as the TPS or Throttle Position Sensor (which in these early cars, it really ISN'T). The "true" TPS didn't come along until much later vehicles.

You can look forever, you'll never find a factory installed TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) on any Z or ZX... And you'll rarely find another human that refers to that little black box on the side of the throttle body as a "Throttle Valve Switch" OR TVS (as they should). Just saying...
Well, thank you cgsheen. That is what I was thinking all along but I could never come to grips with a TPS.
Now I've decided that I have a cylinder that is not firing. However at idle it sounds fine. I am about to go out and start pulling spark plug wires to see if I can find anything.

Thanks,
GT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page