How can I tell if my 280z AC had an R134 conversion? - Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
How can I tell if my 280z AC had an R134 conversion?

Hello,
I did some searching but couldn't find an answer to this. I bought my 78 280z in 2014. The dealer I purchased it from said it needed AC work and this was completed and the car was shipped to me. The AC blew cold until the past year when it started blowing warmer. I took it to a local shop for a check and charge. They asked if it had a conversion and I told them I thought it did. It needed a pound of R134 it blows a little colder but not great like before. They said it could be a bad evaporator valve.

How can I check to see if this Z was converted to R134?

Thanks,
Pete

"Remember, all I'm offering is the truth, nothing more..."
Morpheus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 06:45 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
if it was done right, there should be R134 quick release type connections installed over the old R12 types. That and a note attached specifying the oil used and the amount of R134 used.

Assuming all that was not done, the next option would be to completely evacuate the existing gases, drain the oil from the compressor, flush the entire system, prob get a new condenser, a universal fit parallel flow would be good, new drier, new hoses, clean the filter at the joint of the hard lines of the high side near the firewall (there is a small screen in there), evac the system and check for leaks, then recharge with about 80% IIRC the amount recommended for R12.

If you are unlucky, then the expansion valve could be bad, generally speaking you can tell this by odd reading of the gauges assuming everything else is ok.

IF the expansion valve is bad, then you have to decide if you want to risk an used one if you can find it, OR pop for a new evap unit that uses a standard easy to get expansion valve., that will set you back about 250-350 if you can find one (they are out there new).

Cheap route would be just to evacuate, flush, drain oil, new drier, new oil (ester), pull vacuum, charge and hope.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 09:42 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
if it was done right, there should be R134 quick release type connections installed over the old R12 types. That and a note attached specifying the oil used and the amount of R134 used.

Assuming all that was not done, the next option would be to completely evacuate the existing gases, drain the oil from the compressor, flush the entire system, prob get a new condenser, a universal fit parallel flow would be good, new drier, new hoses, clean the filter at the joint of the hard lines of the high side near the firewall (there is a small screen in there), evac the system and check for leaks, then recharge with about 80% IIRC the amount recommended for R12.

If you are unlucky, then the expansion valve could be bad, generally speaking you can tell this by odd reading of the gauges assuming everything else is ok.

IF the expansion valve is bad, then you have to decide if you want to risk an used one if you can find it, OR pop for a new evap unit that uses a standard easy to get expansion valve., that will set you back about 250-350 if you can find one (they are out there new).

Cheap route would be just to evacuate, flush, drain oil, new drier, new oil (ester), pull vacuum, charge and hope.
Dave,
Thanks for the response. Based on what I'm seeing in the window of the Receiver Drier and what the tech said about the low side pressure I think the Expansion Valve is bad and yes I've had zero luck trying to source one. The Z is in excellent condition being from Arizona so she is worthy of the fix. Just replaces the shocks, springs, bushings, breaks, new braided SS break lines.
Pete

Morpheus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 01:20 PM

if you are sure its the exp valve then you may want to invest in one of those new evaps I mentioned. they can be found on Ebay.
I did a video on testing one, not sure how accurate a test it was but I could at least tell if the exp valve was doing something.

https://youtu.be/FJRvE7qHHGc?t=210
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 02:42 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Garage
If you want to get this deep into it: The expansion valve can be removed and disassembled to inspect and/or clean. It's fairly simple and can be done without pulling the evap core or the copper tubes feeding the evaporator. Care needs to be taken in marking the exact position of the adjustment screw, but it's actually a pretty simple mechanism. One just needs to remove the center finisher and the ducting for the center vents to expose the evap core. The expansion valve is in front of the evap on the right side.

The filters that are inline are there to protect the expansion valve - receiver/dryer and the screen on the liquid line fitting at the firewall - but if refrigerants and oil were mixed, there could be a gooey mess in there. I'd start by checking the small screen filter in the liquid line at the firewall.

1974 "early" 260Z - L28ET - MS3X full sequential fuel and spark, COP=Ford 4.6 coilpacks w/ Nissan Ignitor, diyautotune chopper wheel - FMIC - T04E .63 A/R - 400cc Injectors (too big!), 14point7 Spartan2 Wideband - C/R 5-speed - Coilovers - Big Brake Kit up front, Porterfield friction all around. Mesa, AZ
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 03:28 PM

Ditto on the servicing of the expansion valve you need to make sure you can put the screw in orifice piece back where it started. I would measure it from the top of the flare fitting AND do a turns count (till it bottoms out so you can reset back to the exact number of turns back out. The only thing that can go wrong besides rust or gunk is if the little bulb loses its charge and will no longer operate the needle. That was what I was looking for in the video (the cold spray was on the bulb).
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 08:31 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Fellas,
Thanks a bunch for some good information. Have been out of pocket. Will check for the fittings and tag.

Pete

Morpheus
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Well I looked around with the info given and the compressor is the original unit. It's marked with R12 on it for coolant. There are no "quick release" fittings over the original Red and Blue connections.

So, I have R134 added to an R12 system. From what I read this will degrade internal seals. I'm going to have the system emptied and have it converted.

Morpheus
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 03:53 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Some photo's
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 280z AC Compressor.jpg (75.4 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg KIMG0903.jpg (175.8 KB, 7 views)

Morpheus
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 11:01 PM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Something here doesn't make sense.

What kind of ignorant AC shop would put R134 into an R12 system? Was the refill done by some shade tree Bubba?

When a system is converted, the installer ALWAYS changes the input connections. ALWAYS. No exceptions. That's how they do the job.

If the connectors were factory original, that is confirmation that it is still an R12 system - and no one who knows anything about AC would put R134 into it.

My 83 still runs R12. When I finished a 4-year project on it last year, I found a local shop that is licensed for R12 and had it filled. No problem, cost was $200. Runs and works just fine, thanks.

Last edited by pilgrim; 08-22-2019 at 11:04 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page