Fluttering sound from engine - Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Fluttering sound from engine

I've recently rebuilt the fuel system on my 280Z and thanks to all of you who gave me help in doing that. The car has been running great for the last month or so. Yesterday I did some pressure washing on the bottom side of the car being careful not to get the upper side of the engine wet. I thought I was very successful at that. It ran fine for my short test drive afterward. I just now took it out and after about 5 minutes the engine started a fluttering sound. Not the smooth power you would normally get. Down shifting I get some noticeable fluttering as well - not back firing. Just revving the engine sounds fine. Any thoughts on what might have happened?

Thanks in advance,
GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 04:43 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT75Z View Post
I've recently rebuilt the fuel system on my 280Z and thanks to all of you who gave me help in doing that. The car has been running great for the last month or so. Yesterday I did some pressure washing on the bottom side of the car being careful not to get the upper side of the engine wet. I thought I was very successful at that. It ran fine for my short test drive afterward. I just now took it out and after about 5 minutes the engine started a fluttering sound. Not the smooth power you would normally get. Down shifting I get some noticeable fluttering as well - not back firing. Just revving the engine sounds fine. Any thoughts on what might have happened?

Thanks in advance,
GT
I'd suggest making a video and posting it on youtube so we can hear the problem and go from there.

1978 280z - stock L28 engine - Dallas, TX
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 01:19 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Mr.GT75Z:

From the info provided, my first guess would be an ignition issue brought on by the wash.

Possible fix: blow out the distributor; after drive, check plugs of even (or not) firing; check plug wires for shorts, etc.

After a day or two of drying out, it may run OK again...

--------------------------
Keep 'em flying...

S.J.Szabo
-------------------------

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 09:34 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Garage
Most times I expect there is water in the TPS.

1975 280Z F54/N47 MSA 6-1 Header 2.5 Exhaust
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bificus View Post
Most times I expect there is water in the TPS.
What is the TPS? Do you mean the TVS (Throttle Valve Switch)? I checked that for water and saw no signs but sprayed air on it to dry it out just in case.
I checked the plugs and they all seem fine. Opened the distributor and dried it out.
After I did my spraying I checked the engine and it was totally dry. I did clean the inside of the hood and may have splashed some water somewhere but I was careful not to.
All that to say, the problem still exists. I will try to get a recording of it and post it if possible.

Thanks,
GT
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 04:02 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
What is the TPS? Do you mean the TVS (Throttle Valve Switch)? I checked that for water and saw no signs but sprayed air on it to dry it out just in case.
I checked the plugs and they all seem fine. Opened the distributor and dried it out.
After I did my spraying I checked the engine and it was totally dry. I did clean the inside of the hood and may have splashed some water somewhere but I was careful not to.
All that to say, the problem still exists. I will try to get a recording of it and post it if possible.

Thanks,
GT
Well I tried to making a video but you can't here the exhaust well enough. Oh well, hopefully the water will dry up. I can't imagine what I did.

Thanks,
GT
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 02:11 AM

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
.02c Check the power and ground connections off the battery (not the battery itself). If one is loose you could be momentarily losing power, which would show up on a drive or downshifting when the engine "shakes" on the mounts.

zippityzda
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbestone View Post
.02c Check the power and ground connections off the battery (not the battery itself). If one is loose you could be momentarily losing power, which would show up on a drive or downshifting when the engine "shakes" on the mounts.
Thanks dumbestone, I'll let you know.

GT
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Thanks dumbestone, I'll let you know.

GT
Dumbestone, I checked the battery connections to the starter and lo and behold, the positive contact was quite loose. I thought you might have hit it on the head, but sorry to say, it has not solved my issue.

Thank you
GT
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 03:02 PM

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Drat.

zippityzda

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page