Thinking of buying a 240z with loads of surface rust. Best way to sand? - Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thinking of buying a 240z with loads of surface rust. Best way to sand?

Hey guys, first post here but I've been lurking for the last 6 months. I finally have the opportunity to buy a 73 240z but it's got a bunch of surface rust on the roof and a but on the hatch and hood. I asked the owner and he said it's just on the surface even though it's been sitting for the last 8 years. I'll go and take a look at it soon but the price is definitely right as long as it's just surface rust.

My question for y'all, what's the best way to sand a whole car? This will be my first ever project car and my research here says I should hand sand using a block sander. What's the best technique to do that and how long do you all think it'll take to do the whole car? I'd plan on priming it after as well then taking it to a professional paint shop to get repainted since I don't trust the cleanliness of my garage.

Here's a link to pictures imgur com/a/u5x6Nlc

Last edited by iflanzy; 08-13-2019 at 02:02 PM. Reason: Adding pics
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 01:33 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
I think you should find someone that knows about Z cars and let them take a look at it.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
I think you should find someone that knows about Z cars and let them take a look at it.
I don't know anyone in the area that knows about Zs. I could probably reach out to someone in a local car-meet group but I've been doing research on 240zs and 280zs for the last few years in anticipation of having enough money to buy one so I generally know where to look for major rust.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 03:53 PM

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
pics? we may be able to help if we see what you're dealing with. that said - if theres a lot of surface rust, theres def some terrible rust hiding somewhere else...

1978 280z - stock L28 engine - Dallas, TX
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseincats View Post
pics? we may be able to help if we see what you're dealing with. that said - if theres a lot of surface rust, theres def some terrible rust hiding somewhere else...

My account is too new to embed pictures in the post but there's a broken imgur link at the bottom of it. I live in Idaho so it's pretty dry here, which means hopefully further rust won't be too bad. I'll definitely check it when I drive out to see it, though.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 06:59 AM

Location: Workin in the United Arab Emirates; Livin in North Carolina; Born and raised in Southern Utah
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iflanzy View Post
My account is too new to embed pictures in the post but there's a broken imgur link at the bottom of it. I live in Idaho so it's pretty dry here, which means hopefully further rust won't be too bad. I'll definitely check it when I drive out to see it, though.
if that Z was driven anytime during the winter, you might be in for a rusty surprise.
you want to look at the battery tray area, the hatch area underneath, the floor boards and frame rails and inside the wheel-wells.
i find that a great place to find a rust free car is in New Mexico

Bon

All the Gods, all the Heavens, all the Hells, are within you. - Joseph Campbell -

Pooja II ~ 1984 300ZXT 50th AE ~ 2018 - 2019
Pooja ~ 1987 300ZX 2+2 NA2T ~ 2012 - 2018
Suzanna ~ 1983 280ZX Coupe ~ 2010 - 2019
Alana ~ 1976 280z Coupe NA2T ~ 2008 - 2019
Dianna ~ 1980 280ZX Slick Top ~ 2001 - 2007
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 02:54 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonfire79 View Post
if that Z was driven anytime during the winter, you might be in for a rusty surprise.
you want to look at the battery tray area, the hatch area underneath, the floor boards and frame rails and inside the wheel-wells.
i find that a great place to find a rust free car is in New Mexico

Bon
Or Arizona. They have to import rust there. I could not find a car near Texas that was not rusted so I started looking there. My car is virtually rust free and has been since I bought it.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 02:57 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT75Z View Post
Or Arizona. They have to import rust there. I could not find a car near Texas that was not rusted so I started looking there. My car is virtually rust free and has been since I bought it.
Actually I meant Nevada, I found my car in Las Vegas. Arizona and New Mexico are good areas too.

GT
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 12:24 AM

Location: Workin in the United Arab Emirates; Livin in North Carolina; Born and raised in Southern Utah
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT75Z View Post
Actually I meant Nevada, I found my car in Las Vegas. Arizona and New Mexico are good areas too.

GT
yeah for sure. i bought my 280zx from new mexico and it is nealy rust free. as far as i know, it spent its whole life there.
i think the only problem with buying cars in these areas even though ther are pretty much rust free, is the interiors are usually trashed. like rust, sun and heat are not nice to these cars either.

Bon

All the Gods, all the Heavens, all the Hells, are within you. - Joseph Campbell -

Pooja II ~ 1984 300ZXT 50th AE ~ 2018 - 2019
Pooja ~ 1987 300ZX 2+2 NA2T ~ 2012 - 2018
Suzanna ~ 1983 280ZX Coupe ~ 2010 - 2019
Alana ~ 1976 280z Coupe NA2T ~ 2008 - 2019
Dianna ~ 1980 280ZX Slick Top ~ 2001 - 2007
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 04:06 PM

Garage
Iíll post the images in here for others to see. I got them from the link you provided.

Iím not expert, but the general consensus is find a rust free car because rust repairs are costly. If you can see rust then thereís probably a bunch more your canít see. It really depends on how much he wants for the car. It sounds like you donít have a lot of body repair or rust repair expertise so youíll be paying someone to do the repairs if you want them donít right and not have a Frankenstein job.
So media blasting is a great approach to rust repair and probably the fastest. You need to get under the car and look yourself. Especially the frame rails. Look behind the front wheels, deep in where the body is. Itís a classic rust area. The floor boards too.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page