1983 280zx Non Turbo Timing Help - Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
1983 280zx Non Turbo Timing Help

All, I'm neck deep in a project. Pulled the head and had it r and r. Just got it back and after a bunch of cleaning, I've installed the head. The engine is at TDC and the head is also at tdc with bunny ears up on first cylinder. Im trying to avoid taking the front cover off to get this done so any help would be appreciated. I’ve searched high and low so your help is much appreciated. Ive read that with the sprocket at the 1 position that the shiny link should be at the 1 indicator but clearly that's not the case here. What next? Thanks in advance.

Facts since I cant post a picture:
Engine at TDC -1 and 6 at highest point

Head at TDC (bunny ears up)

Sprocket in 1 position
Shiny link at 10 o'clock or between the 2 and 3 outer mark

Last edited by Jeff Collinsworth; 08-03-2019 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Problem with links
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 11:27 AM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
I got all hung up on the shiny link as well. Main thing is does the timing marks on the camshaft sprocket look right? at TDC on the crank pulley, bunney ears up on #1 (just to be sure is the rotor is pointing to #1 on the cap) shine a light in there and see if the notch on the camshaft gear is lining up with the line on the cam shaft retainer. If it is you should be good to go, hands spin it a few times to be sure. get a pic if you can. I had the same kind of problem, with the shiny link business, I ended up messing with it enough for the wedge to come loose, and then I had to pull the front cover to fix the tensioner... After that I did not even try to get the shiny link on the bottom lined up right. Just fiddled with the chain until I had the correct timing based on the camshaft slot per above. Works fine.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 12:03 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
I just went back an watched an old video of mine, On the orig head the shiny mark was on 3, so I have no idea what was going on. Think I will withdraw my orig statement above. Proceed at your own risk. I know the engine runs fine (per the video above) but now I am starting to wonder about it again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 03:27 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
I just went back an watched an old video of mine, On the orig head the shiny mark was on 3, so I have no idea what was going on. Think I will withdraw my orig statement above. Proceed at your own risk. I know the engine runs fine (per the video above) but now I am starting to wonder about it again.
The shiny link can be anywhere as long as the timing marks are correct. The shiny link is only an aid during assembly'
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 10:04 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thanks all.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page