1980 Datsun 280zx Power Steering Lines - Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Exclamation 1980 Datsun 280zx Power Steering Lines

I have a 1980 280zx and I am wondering which power steering line goes where. I could not find anything about this topic, the only piece of helpful information has been from XenonZcar.com's service pdf manual. I need to know where the return and pressure line go. I know the return line plugs into the power steering fluid tank, above the pressure line. Where do they plug into the gear box? the pdf looks like it is the return line being closest to the fire wall, and the pressure line goes behind it (closer to the headlights). Has anyone done this job or is familiar with the layout to give me some advice? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 12:23 PM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Is there a reason you can't trace the lines? (Perhaps they have been removed??)

I changed the steering rack on my '83 280ZX Turbo and they don't "plug into a gear box". There's a power steering pump and a rack, and although I didn't have occasion to remove the PS lines, there is no gear box in the PS circuit.

If you're replacing missing PS hoses, I would think that buying pre-bent hoses would make it easy to see where the connections are.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilgrim View Post
Is there a reason you can't trace the lines? (Perhaps they have been removed??)

I changed the steering rack on my '83 280ZX Turbo and they don't "plug into a gear box". There's a power steering pump and a rack, and although I didn't have occasion to remove the PS lines, there is no gear box in the PS circuit.

If you're replacing missing PS hoses, I would think that buying pre-bent hoses would make it easy to see where the connections are.
Yes, I bought pre-bent lines. I mean gear box as in where they plug into by the steering column. Is the return line suppose to connect to the port closest to the firewall? And the pressure goes to the left of it? (If you were looking down at it from the drive side tire in the front).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 07:43 PM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
It may be a while before I can get to the car and look....
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
The part was suppose to be in yesterday but now FedEx is saying Monday... I got a little time before I go with my gut feeling. Hopefully someone else has some input before then lol
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 03:31 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
The FSM shows the return line being closer to the firewall as you said. I would start there. The pre-bent lines should line up pretty decently. They usually have different sized connections but Datsun did us wrong and sized the banjo bolts the same. If you hook the lines up wrong you will know immediately once you start the car. The steering wheel will shake left to right violently.

I swapped my recirculating ball over to rack and pinion to fit a turbo so I cannot check on my '80.

Best of luck!

Yeti aka Matt
2017 Ford Edge 2.0T
1980 280zx with 82 Turbo motor and MS2, E85, LS2 COP, and TO4e.
Rochester, New York

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page