Fuel Pressure Regulator test - Page 3 - Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 05:20 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Ok, it appears I do not have continuity. If I am using the right pin, which is 13 - assuming that pin 1 is the upper right pin in the attached photo. I get a reading of 1.817 (or so) and not beep indicating continuity.
If I am to trace this wire, I guess I look at the wires coming off the sensor and try to follow them back testing the best I can along the way. I have not been able to figure out how to disconnect the type of connector that I am showing in my other attachment. I can't get it to come and I don't want to break it.

Thanks!
GT75Z
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6247.JPG (92.0 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6240.JPG (88.6 KB, 6 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 05:44 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
pin 13 (above the blank slot on the right in your 1st pic) connect there and ground with a multimeter set to resistance, get a reading. If 1.817 is really 1.817k then then temp of the engine should be around 85-95 degrees.

So that is not the problem. again IF 1.817 is reading on the 1K scale.

you have to look at the scale in the FSM for temps and resistance.

Last edited by Dave M; 06-13-2019 at 05:49 PM.
post #23 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 05:48 PM

Next test is the TVS, also covered in the FSM. this is the switch that is activated by throttle position. Its a SPDT type switch that is on at idle and on above about 2/3 throttle (different contacts for each).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
Next test is the TVS, also covered in the FSM. this is the switch that is activated by throttle position. Its a SPDT type switch that is on at idle and on above about 2/3 throttle (different contacts for each).
Thanks Dave, it looks like in my photo that I am holding it sideways but I count the blank as #12 so to the right would be 13. If it was vertical, the 13 pin would be below the blank. That's the only way I can count it. I have a continuity setting which is within the resistance settings which is what I was going for. It is strange I think that it is showing 1.754 (now) and not continuity. When I switch to 2k range, I get the same 1.754 reading.
And the FSM shows a resistance of 2.25 to 2.75 at 68 degrees. We are at 90 degrees which I think puts me nicely in the range.
Either way I do not get a reading at all on the pin that is above, or to the left of the blank.

I will check the TVS tomorrow.

GT75Z
post #25 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 07:37 PM

make sure the cold start valve is not stuck on. disconnect it and put a stopper in the line to be sure.

You will also want to check the air temp sensor (see fsm, like the water temp but its part of the AFM).

check for gas leaking out of the FPR vacuum hose. disconnect the vacuum hose and see if any fuel leaks out. do this with the pump on engine off.
post #26 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I will check the cold start valve to verify that as well as the air temp sensor.
I have checked the FPR for gas through the vacuum line and it is dry.
post #27 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 04:29 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Ok, I have checked the circuits for diagnosing lack of power, which is almost all of them. Everything seems to have continuity except the TSV. I am getting no readings from that. I'm not sure how to test that circuit cause the wiring goes straight from the connector to the wrapped cables going to the ECU. Any thoughts? Does it mean the TVS is bad?
Also, my vacuum is at 15 when it should be between 17 and 22. How much difference would that make?
I did a blow smoke through the vacuum lines and I do have a slight leak in the Air Cleaner to AFM boot - I imagine that is why the low reading. I am going to order new boots, mine are a bit suspicious.

Any thoughts are appreciated, especially on dealing with the TVS.

Thanks,
GT75Z
post #28 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 04:38 PM

you should have block off the AFM at the front to do the smoke test. Do you mean the AFM to Throttle body connector? the AFM to air filter boot is off in order to install the cup that plug up the AFM front.

Vacuum will improve when it warms up, if 15 is right after start, then its ok.

The TVS check is for continuity and is covered in the FSM. You test it at the 36 pin connector, one test is at idle, the second test is with the throttle opened. You can do the test sitting in the driver set, foot off gas and then a test with foot on gas. You will need to consult the FSM for the pins that should be used.
post #29 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I have a cool air induction and I took the filter off and put a cup (as you suggested) in the intake tube to block it off. Yes, the smoke was coming from the air filter tube to the AFM boot. And I can see possible cracks in that. I do not see any smoke from the AFM to throttle body boot, but I will replace it too.
I was at operating temp and it was at 15, it actually starts a little higher when cold. So I actually lost some after it warmed up. Cold it was very close to 17.
I checked the TVS with battery disconnected and at both positions of the gas pedal. I got no reading either way.

Thanks,
GT
post #30 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I took the boot off in front of the AFM and put a cup there. I am getting smoke coming out of the black cover for the AFM. Mine does not seem to seal tight but I definitely am leaking from that area.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page