1976 280z stereo upgrade - Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z
User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
1976 280z stereo upgrade

Does anyone have any info on aftermarket speaker placement, speakers in the doors?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 03:34 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Looking to maybe place speakers in the doors, not sure about clearance with the door internals?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 06:28 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Don't do it. Cutting up the door panels is something we used to do before knowing better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 07:43 PM

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
I agree with Dave.

Instead, take a look at where the speakers are mounted on the 77/78 models (its pretty much right by your ears).

1978 280z - stock L28 engine - Dallas, TX
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 06:21 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Here are speaker mounts designed for the kick panels for a 280Z: http://www.datsunworks.com/page3/page10/

Here is a thread on his product: https://www.classiczcars.com/forums/...n-development/

It's so much better than hacking up decent door panels.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- A great place to search for answers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- the cheap source for FSMs

- Look up S30 part numbers

- My blog with some tech tips and pictures of my car-loving life

- Pictures from various car shows
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 11:04 PM

I would suggest that there may be some flaw in a plan that places a very heavy and powerful electromagnet cheek by jowl with the 280's Old Tech computer on one side and several critical electromagnetic relays on the other.

Paranoid or Careful; you be the judge.

--------------------------
Keep 'em flying...

S.J.Szabo
-------------------------

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 06:04 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ensys View Post
I would suggest that there may be some flaw in a plan that places a very heavy and powerful electromagnet cheek by jowl with the 280's Old Tech computer on one side and several critical electromagnetic relays on the other.

Paranoid or Careful; you be the judge.
The kick panel enclosures have been out for more than a year with no complaints registered by the people at classiczcars who have purchased them. You be the judge.

- A great place to search for answers

- the cheap source for FSMs

- Look up S30 part numbers

- My blog with some tech tips and pictures of my car-loving life

- Pictures from various car shows
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 03:47 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Or put a piece of rubber mat and some foam speaker baffling behind the speaker/magnet. Better sound and no electronic noise!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 07:33 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjw76z View Post
Does anyone have any info on aftermarket speaker placement, speakers in the doors?
Besides butchering the door panels as well as the door shell itself, putting the speakers in the door is the worst area you can put speakers for a multitude of reasons. You'll be popping the speakers every time you close the doors and getting them wet with water. Every time the car gets rained on, or you wash the car, water goes inside the doors from the top and runs out drain holes in the bottom by design. Water doesn't do speakers any good. The speakers will also be in the way of the window when you try to roll it down all the way, and when you get out of the car, you're feet barely miss the door panel now, just imagine how much less room you'll have with a speaker frame and/'or grill sticking out more. The A pillar doesn't cut it either. You have the ecu on the left side and the fuse block, trig box, and relays on the right side. That also takes away foot and/or leg room for the driver. In the B pillars where the stock location is puts the sound behind you but not aimed at you and the structure limits the size of speaker. Last I checked my ears are on my head like most people, and the stock speakers are about bicep to shoulder level with the seats in the way as well. Behind the seats on the rear deck riser pumps the sound right into the back of the seats. I've put speakers in every place possible on these cars and there is really only 1 option. Have you looked at the rear speaker panel on the market that fits into the back of the car and replaces the inside plastic panel? It was designed by a Boeing engineer, they have a bass port in them, they use 2- 6x9 speakers and produce some pretty good sound. I've got them in a few of my z cars. Be sure to use quality speakers though, I usually use the Infinity Reference or Kappa speakers. I use to make them but it took too much time for the money they generated so I quit selling them. Right now the only place is MSA. I've even put the rear speaker panels in z cars with a sub woofer if someone wants dominant bass. I can't post a picture for you even though I have lots because I don't have enough posts for the new management. I've been helping people on zcar.com since about 1998 and that's not good enough for them I guess. Go Figure A few thousand responses is all so I guess that should make me well past a senior member, perhaps a geriatric member would be more accurate. Z man of Washington

1978 black pearl show car-retired, I bought it new. 1983 zx turbo daily driver, modified, 3rd owner. 1970 240 #23 project car FOR SALE. 1970 240 #638 driver. 1973 240 roadster being built. 50+ other z's & zx's. 57 Chev Sedan Delivery. 79 620 King Cab. Store front

landline 360-668-2979 cell 206-363-3577
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 09:19 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I put 6.5 inch speakers under the quarter window, itís tight but it fits.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan : Datsun ZCar forum :Nissan Z Forum: 240Z to 370Z forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page